What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

s. leuco freaking me out

what the friggin hell is going on here
2u7p1yq.jpg

1.how do I pollinate a freak flower like this?
2. is this flower type normal?

It looks like you have Sarracenia leucophylla 'Tarnok.' It is a cultivar that is infertile, so the flowers can't be pollinated.

Hi! Did your S. leucophylla come with the tag 'Tarnok'? I am most certain it is S. leucophylla 'Tarnok'!

Sarracenia leucophylla 'Tarnok''s growth is like any other leuco, pitcher color, size and shape are typical for the species. However, it's flowers are unusual; they're mutated, lacking all petals, anthers, and styles, instead having lots of mutated sepals in their place!! In this case, pollinating these flowers is impossible because they don't have any of the sex organs needed for pollination or fruit making!! The only means of reproduction are vegetative, by splitting the rhizome. : )

Last edited:
Lol! I guess if you didn't know or hadn't heard about 'Tarnok', it really would seem out of the left field wouldn't it? :p

mannnnn
I was really looking forward to crossing those two flowers
and yea until now I had no idea about this plant
I did a bunch of research on how to pollinate sar flowers then bam. flower blooms, looks nothing like the diagrams I studied >.>

XD wow, that is bad luck (sort of)!

Luckily now you know and, most all other Sarracenia are fertile.

That's a beautiful 'Tarnok' bloom though, what a nice plant :)

There have been a couple cases of pollinating 'Tarnok' flowers, as occasionally within that mass of tepals the occasional good anther and stigma is produced, but it's a rare occurrence.

............rfgdfgdfgsgdfg
afk searching the flower until it dies

ok at the very tip of the last sepals on the flower there are these small white bumps
you can see them in the first pic(I doubt I could get a better pic than the one I already have up)
they definitely look like they could be stigmas
is that where they would show up IF this flower had them?

Last edited:
Back