What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

(VA, USA) New to the Organic Bug-Destruction hobby.

Zath

Enthusiastic Enthusiast
I'm (extremely) new to the hobby, though my enthusiasm for CP's goes back nearly 20 years (how can that be!?).

As such, I've accumulated a teeny-tiny collection, while simultaneously devouring every F.A.Q., discussion, tutorial, opinion, etc. on the cultivation of CP's in general. I also own "The Savage Garden", thanks to my uncle, and must have read certain sections five times or more, if they dealt with plants I was interested in.

In all this reading I've come across certain plants that I thought were neat, either because of their appearance, or their name.

One of these, is Utricularia 'Yog-Sothoth'. The reason? I am an H.P. Lovecraft fan, pure and simple. My unique little version of OCD is kicking in, and it is simply imperative that I own and take care of one of these.

Do you understand now? :p

How about the VFT 'Jessica Davis', as mentioned in the brilliant Barry Rice's F.A.Q. maintained for the ICPS. Why wouldn't you want at least one, just for the little piece of significance it references in CP history. Do it out of pity for her, at least.

Unfortunately, since I can't offer to compensate people for their hard work, and the fact that I am nowhere near being ready to have plants in either A) The quantity, OR B) any varieties that 99.999% of the hobbiests don't already own; (I mean, let's be honest) :p

'Bout the only thing I can do is either "gift" a plant via a seller of the person's choice (within reason), or, and I'd prefer this, I can offer up in trade the pretty, pretty pictures / photo-diary of my first year of seriously trying to grow CP's, over-winter them in frigid VA, and suceed in caring for them another year, and so on and so forth. I have recently set up a Flickr account that will serve admirably for this purpose, and have uploaded the very first round of photos.

All but the two damaged plants were acquired this year through various retailers, and so far, I have thing well under control. I am, however, still susceptible to bouts of human pride...so who know what hilarity and tragedy might await!?

Anyone who cares to view it can follow the link below. All the of the key pictures are labeled and dated with time of photograph, so that progression can be tracked. Other pictures are taken just to show certain things I think deserve a close-up, lol. I explain more about the picture in the comments.

If you like it, encourage me by commenting or even discussing on the photos. It'll make sure I keep taking photographs on a regular basis. Maybe some of you can get a nostalgic feeling from when you started out, before you had 10k+ plants in three greenhouses and a bog-garden. :p

That's it, and cheers. I'll post more when I finish trying to wrap my head around the forum rules, and I'll try to update a few plant pics bi-weekly. Maybe not all of them every time, to keep growth apparently significant. (Remember: Encouragement! :p )

P.S. I'll probably put some of the better pictures on my album that I get here, but they won't necessarily be progression related.

My Little Monsters

Welcome to the hobby and the forum ! If you pay the shipping, I'd be happy to send you starter clumps of both Utricularia calycifida 'Yog Sethoth' and Utricularia calycifida "Asenath Waite".

Welcome to the hobby and the forum ! If you pay the shipping, I'd be happy to send you starter clumps of both Utricularia calycifida 'Yog Sethoth' and Utricularia calycifida "Asenath Waite".

You know....I had a good feeling about you. I saw your name in chat right after I posted this, and I was mentally willing you to catch my Lovecraft reference, lol. You're on! PM me.

PM sent. There are also 2 other Lovecraftian U.calycifida cultivars that have eluded me for years, 'Cthulhu' and 'Livinia Whatley'.

PM sent. There are also 2 other Lovecraftian U.calycifida cultivars that have eluded me for years, 'Cthulhu' and 'Livinia Whatley'.

Oh-hoh, my elder god. I remember "Livinia Whatley". That is too cool!

A fellow Virginian... I grew up in the Shenandoah Valley.
Welcome to TF

Thank you guys!

Very good read for an intro.

Welcome to our asylum.

Zath,

Where in our fair commonwealth are you? I'm in Northern VA (Fairfax Co).

Grayson County, right on the border with NC. (In fact I recently moved from NC. A whole state away sounds far, but it's only an hour-and-a-half, lol)

Back