What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downsize :(

UGH............................
I'm moving this month out of the current rental and been looking for a new, place. I've spent over a month looking for the perfect house, with the perfect backyard, since my plants are my, priority lol. So I found the perfect house! but not perfect, backyard. It wasn't fair for my partner to keep looking just because my plant's wouldn't be, happy. My current greenhouse doesn't fit in the yard and in the space that it does fit, it's fully shaded by, oak trees. So I'm asking anyone if you've had experience with this 6x8 greenhouse which I think is the only thing that would fit in the ,backyard. Or if you have any links to good greenhouses or kits that will fit, these measurements. Thank you.

This one I found at reasonable price from, harbor freight.

Jose,
Anyone who has bought one of the Harbor Freight kits will tell you this: they are not sturdy enough to withstand a 40 MPH wind without significant reinforcements, and they are leaky as heck unless you go over every joint and seal it with something (silicone sealer, generally). Also, the polycarbonate panels tend to blow out in a wind, and they warp and degrade in the sun after a couple of years. I imagine the latter issue would be more of a problem in your climate, so beware - you may be investing in something that will last 24 months or less. These are REALLY cheaply made kits, which is why they are so affordable. (My first greenhouse was a kit that cost $2200, and I considered THAT kit to be poorly made and the materials were cheap, and it had to be "retrofitted" to seal leaks and address poor manufacturing issues, so I can only imagine how much less satisfactory the Harbor Freight unit would be!)

Would you be able to trim the oaks back at all? or is that not an option?

Jose,
Anyone who has bought one of the Harbor Freight kits will tell you this: they are not sturdy enough to withstand a 40 MPH wind without significant reinforcements, and they are leaky as heck unless you go over every joint and seal it with something (silicone sealer, generally). Also, the polycarbonate panels tend to blow out in a wind, and they warp and degrade in the sun after a couple of years. I imagine the latter issue would be more of a problem in your climate, so beware - you may be investing in something that will last 24 months or less. These are REALLY cheaply made kits, which is why they are so affordable. (My first greenhouse was a kit that cost $2200, and I considered THAT kit to be poorly made and the materials were cheap, and it had to be "retrofitted" to seal leaks and address poor manufacturing issues, so I can only imagine how much less satisfactory the Harbor Freight unit would be!)

UGH....
I may have to just put my current one on the shaded area untill I can build a good on in the backyard, then. We get too many storms for me to worry about.

Dragoness, it's not an option.

Can you switch to indoor growing maybe in the extra bedroom or a basement?

A parabolic dish in the sunny part of the yard, aimed at the greenhouse?! (not serious, but wouldn't that be nice if it were that easy?!)

A parabolic dish in the sunny part of the yard, aimed at the greenhouse?! (not serious, but wouldn't that be nice if it were that easy?!)

I would be dreaming about, this. I know it...

I live in co, and i have one of these harbor freight greenhouses. I actually really like them. Mine doesnt really leak, and the panels havent been warped very much, but a hailstorm will put bb sized holes in the panels given a good storm. And yes, the wind plays havoc with these panels. They will fling off and leave you to go play hide and go seek sometimes, but that can be fixed by adding more clips on to the panels. One more serious note on this greenhouse, these things get HOT. You will need a way to vent/cool this thing or it will kill plants. Ive had mine for 5 years now and it does very well under a shady maple tree. However, this year we left 3 panels off for heat and it does better

I live in co, and i have one of these harbor freight greenhouses. I actually really like them. Mine doesnt really leak, and the panels havent been warped very much, but a hailstorm will put bb sized holes in the panels given a good storm. And yes, the wind plays havoc with these panels. They will fling off and leave you to go play hide and go seek sometimes, but that can be fixed by adding more clips on to the panels. One more serious note on this greenhouse, these things get HOT. You will need a way to vent/cool this thing or it will kill plants. Ive had mine for 5 years now and it does very well under a shady maple tree. However, this year we left 3 panels off for heat and it does better

In my estimation this is NOT an endorsement, but another data point for the "avoid this product" camp.

I have a couple of 8x6 harborfreights and work fine for me 3+ years old.You definitely get what you pay for.I caulked with silicone around all panels.But structurally I didnt have to do anything.I heard the next size up you have to do extra to beef it up.I also bubble wrap the inside to keep the heat in.
Just my experience.
Ps instructions to build or not good and was pain to build

Last edited:
Honestly, the worst part of having a crappy greenhouse is the mental stress and anguish. My plants are just about the only material possession I care about. I am sentimental about them, especially when they came from another person, and they are important to me.

In winter I stressed day and night and lost lots of sleep trying to protect them with the harbor freight GH. Wind events, coming home to find the door blown open in 30F or the entire GH upended, snow load, will the heater handle record low temps, etc. Also, the air flow is poor in the HFGH and I wound up with epic Botrytis that attacked my Drosera and Pings like wildfire. A cheap fan solves that problem, but essentially with a cheap crappy GH you spend all your time and money fixing problems that IMO should have been corrected in the design phase.

Then as I transitioned to spring the overheating became a constant issue. It tied me down from vacationing or spending anything but a single day away from managing the heater and the air vents. Sometimes it would frost in the morning and before leaving for work I'd have to chance it and crack the greenhouse open so that the sun didn't peek out and torch everything. The lack of automation with that greenhouse meant that on any given day, if the conditions fluctuated too much I would lose my entire collection to sunburn.

Last edited:
Well, I guess my partner couldn't stand my 24/7 pitiful, face and called me to tell me we are going to keep searching for the right backyard for the greenhouse. Lol do not judge me! Lol. This hobby is such a beautiful burden, at times. Thank you everyone for your inputs.

Good luck. I hope something better presents itself. (It will!)

Found the backyard! it's huge! Will start moving tomorrow! Now I have open space for a bog garden!

Back