What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carnivoregon

IG carnivoregon_official
Hello there, I'm Randoja. My plan is to keep this thread updated with the progress of my plants and photos of any new ones I get as well. Everything is setup in just one south window. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions about my plants, as well as receive any advice or suggestions you may have.

Here is my collection. For Drosera, I have 2 D. capensis, 2 Alb. D. capensis, D. venusta, and D. scorpioides. Nepenthes: (L to R) N. spathulada x glabrata, Poi Dog (Unknown), Wavy Leaf N. maxima, N. 'Miranda', N. burkei.
uuPnqlI.jpg

This is what my setup looks like normally. This pic is before I got the D. scorpioides though.
YvxYaTj.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice setup you've got there!

How do you keep your Nepenthes humid enough to pitcher happily? I have tried growing some of mine in windowsills, and they stop pitchering.

How do you keep your Nepenthes humid enough to pitcher happily? I have tried growing some of mine in windowsills, and they stop pitchering.

I personally don't do anything for the humidity, aside from having multiple plants and water trays for the Drosera right there. What keeps them making pitchers is light. It's my understanding that careful monitoring of humidity is really not necessary for most Nepenthes in cultivation. Obviously there are going to be exceptions, and certain plants that need very specific conditions to thrive.

If it's really dry where you are at though, you could put your plants on a pebble tray. Basically a tray of pebbles that you set the pots on, then you water and the excess goes down and sits in the rocks and evaporates and makes it more humid right around the plants.

I'm hoping this will be the biggest pitcher yet on my N. maxima. It's definitely going to be bigger than the one it's next to.
536260_10154752208590026_6918501035647509364_n.jpg

My 2 newest Drosera getting some dew back after being shipped.
1959237_10154752219245026_6482221641382424458_n.jpg

Last edited:
Cupped Flytrap
bOb9wmM.jpg

N. burkei
Ergo4xN.jpg

N. maxima (Wavy Leaf)
VUYsRV8.jpg

N. spathulada x glabrata, I've since cut off the larger pitcher.
10710683_10154736184825026_5947834761685627896_n.jpg

Making room for new ones.
tT7D2Lm.jpg

These all looks so great :D (Whered you buy that N. burkei if you dont mind me asking?)

I'd really like for this to put out some pitchers. N. Poi Dog hybrid for 15$. It's really strong puts out leaves like crazy.
1235208_10154756587085026_8586089758923278566_n.jpg

I'd really like for this to put out some pitchers. N. Poi Dog hybrid for 15$. It's really strong puts out leaves like crazy.
1235208_10154756587085026_8586089758923278566_n.jpg

All of those little leaf tips are developing pitchers. Are they shrivelling up and not growing? If so its probably a lack of humidity.

All of those little leaf tips are developing pitchers. Are they shrivelling up and not growing? If so its probably a lack of humidity.

No they aren't shriveled up, tendrils are still healthy and the would be pitchers are still soft.
iBqTym7.jpg

Last edited:
Thats odd. Im not entirely sure what to expect when the humidity is too low, but those are definitely developing pitchers. I guess theyre just being stunted because of the lack of humidity :/ Im not sure what to suggest without a terrarium or greenhouse.

Thats odd. Im not entirely sure what to expect when the humidity is too low, but those are definitely developing pitchers. I guess theyre just being stunted because of the lack of humidity :/ Im not sure what to suggest without a terrarium or greenhouse.

I don't think there is a problem with humidity, all my other neps are making pitchers. I think it just needs more time. Only had it since 9-15

Give it a little time. When adjusting to new conditions, Nepenthes commonly stall their growth and will grow slower.
If humidity is too low, all of those developing pitchers would turn black and shrivel.

Nice little set-up. It's really neat to see someone using a windowsill to grow plants. (Mine aren't quite suitable). And, you've got some neat pitchers on that N. spathulata x glabrata.

Give it a little time. When adjusting to new conditions, neps commonly stall their growth and will grow slower.
If humidity is too low, all of those developing pitchers would turn black and shrivel.
Good deal, that's what I was thinking as well. I've been moving it to a west window sill after 4:30 pm or so to get a couple more hours of good diffused light. Been about a week doing it now, and I'm seeing some good results.
Nice little set-up. It's really neat to see someone using a windowsill to grow plants. (Mine aren't quite suitable). And, you've got some neat pitchers on that N. spathulata x glabrata.
Thank you very much. I have a new one developing on it that looks like it's gonna be real wide.
2QEglnr.jpg

My garden is going pretty good except for some mold I have in my current nepenthes media. Until I can get them repotted I could use some advice on how to use hydrogen peroxide to keep the mold at bay until I can get them into Sphagnum moss and cocoa chips. My plants are noticing the decrease in sunlight for sure. Next project after repotting is going to be setting up a little light to keep dew and healthy pitchers all winter.

N. spathulata x glabrata developing pitcher.
RO7xtsL.jpg

N. burkei
2PllyLR.png

N. 'Miranda'
zv6TF5y.png

Newest N. maxima pitcher
PE7nCNO.png

N. Poi Dog, still no pitchers but it's really vigorous with it's leaf growing.
nT5sHmj.jpg

Got some new baby D. capensis popping up in this pot too.
FOpG2yo.jpg

Back