What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitcher of the Month December 2014

Vote for the top 3 best!!!

• Maiden - N. tenuis

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • catrus - N. ventricosa x ampullaria

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Red Lowii - N. (lowii x veitchii) x (truncata x sibuyanensis)

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Bio - suspected N. tobaica

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • RL7836 - N. argenii

Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Favian - N. sumatrana x burbidgeae

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • rdlsreno - N. robcantleyi

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Ngantnier - N. lowii x campanulata

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • ps3isawesome - N. maxima x spectabilis

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • corky - N. boschiana

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • davidgreen - N. (lowii x veitchii) x burbidgeae

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thez_yo

instigator
1. Only ONE (1) PITCHER per member may be entered in any particular month.
2. All pictures must be taken in the month of entry into the contest.
3. All entries must be clearly identified.
4. Entries are restricted to cultivated plants.
5. Contestants may post as many times and as many pictures of their entry as they like until contest closing on 12/31/14
6. Sequential pictures showing opening of a pitcher are fine as long as all pictures are taken within the month of the contest.
7. If, for some reason, a single pitcher cannot be isolated and a group shot is necessary, then the particular pitcher entered must be clearly identified in your post.
8. Plant must have been grown by owner at least six months prior to photo.
9. Times of Contest and Poll openings and closings are to be understood as EST.
10. Judging by forum members and guests in a poll opening on 01/01/15, closing 01/05/15 and using this forum! Voting will open on top of the thread at the close of the contest submissions.

** Please remember to clearly identify your entry!!**

Contest will be closed on December 31st 2014 at 5:00PM EST
Good luck!!

Nepenthes tenuis

15691481337_8dca1cbcff_z.jpg

N. vent x amp

I should have cleaned his mouth before I took the pic.
10805800_10203236920339822_3318169684529984554_n.jpg

Love the Nepenthes tenuis, makes me want to get one!

N. (Lowii-Mt Trusmadi x Veitchii - RED) x (Truncata x sibuyanensis)

The peristome on this thing is just too much!

15337097994_07d95959d1_b.jpg

15337092314_0bd04cbdf1_b.jpg

Beautiful!

1418259180719.jpg

IMG_20141211_161953604.jpg

Nepenthes tobaica? SG

Last edited:
I thought I spied something in the bed of nasty moss at the back of a basement tank - they often hide...

After ripping out several long-gone fusca pitchers - I can see my target ok by can't really make out the bat wings

I tried all kinds of stuff to get the camera in amongst the vines to try & get a clear view of the bat wings. The light was part of the issue but it turns out they were completely covered in nectar - what's up with that?

It really is amazing how small they are ... N. argentii

I thought I spied something in the bed of nasty moss at the back of a basement tank - they often hide...

After ripping out several long-gone fusca pitchers - I can see my target ok by can't really make out the bat wings

I tried all kinds of stuff to get the camera in amongst the vines to try & get a clear view of the bat wings. The light was part of the issue but it turns out they were completely covered in nectar - what's up with that?

It really is amazing how small they are ... N. argentii

Great job Ron !

I don't think this is N.tobaica. This plant looks like N.kampotiana or N.smilesii.

I think you might be on to something, but I believe that it is still too young to be given a 100% positive id via pitchers. The pitchers may be inconclusive, but the leaves are nearly indistinguishable from those of my smaller N. sanguinea. It is only around a year and a half old, so it probably still needs to mature a bit more before pitchers representative of the mature plant will be produced.

Ron, that N.argentii is amazing! Thanks for sharing.

Changed entry

Last edited:
I think you might be on to something, but I believe that it is still too young to be given a 100% positive id via pitchers. The pitchers may be inconclusive, but the leaves are nearly indistinguishable from those of my smaller N. sanguinea. It is only around a year and a half old, so it probably still needs to mature a bit more before pitchers representative of the mature plant will be produced.

Where did you get it from? I've grown a lot of these and the pitcher morphology doesn't really change, ie they look mature at a very small size.

Where did you get it from? I've grown a lot of these and the pitcher morphology doesn't really change, ie they look mature at a very small size.

If you do not mind, I would prefer to move this discussion into my photo thread, to let this thread serve its original purpose. :)

Last edited:
n. Sumatrana x burbidgeae. Merry Christmas!

Very seasonal colours Favion:-D

Changed

Last edited:
Nice one Corky, how tall is that pitcher at the moment ?

Cheers , including the lid its 8 inches, it's much fatter than previous , my plants pitchers seem to be fatter if they touch the ground and develop, the ones that develop suspended in the air are much skinnier (hate to break it to ya Welshy but that moustache just doesn't suit you)

Last edited:
Back