What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New from Virginia

hello,

My name is Jay Austin, and I am addicted to carnivorous plants.

I am a professional horticulturist at Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden in Richmond, VA where among other things I manage the collection of CP's. We have a nice collection of Sarracenia that was originally installed in the mid 90's. I have taken over the collection and am in the process of expanding it.

I have become a grower for the NASC and am safekeeping those plants at the Garden. I also have a growing personal collection.

Anyway, I am happy to be here and look forward to making many new relationships here.

Jay

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard ! We'd love to see some photos of this collection you're maintaining.

Last edited:
Welcome indeed! Do you know/collaborate with Phil Sheridan of the Meadowview Biological Research Station?

Welcome! I am a fellow Virginian and grew up in the Shenandoah.
Can't wait to see some pics of those plants.

Welcome indeed! Do you know/collaborate with Phil Sheridan of the Meadowview Biological Research Station?

I met Dr. Sheridan this past summer. We took a trip up to Meadowview to pick up some plants we purchased. We got a nice tour of the Central Virginia Preserve and the growing facilities there. Excellent trip.

Welcome to TF!

Welcome to TF, can't wait to see some pictures of everything!

Welcome Jay :)

Welcome! Good luck working on your collections. Great to have another horticulturist join the community!

Welcome. I once lived in Waynesboro, later Richmond, then Virginia Beach. All very nice country.

Welcome, Jay! It's been about 15 years since I lived in the Old Dominion, but I grew up in Blacksburg and my parents are still in the area.

Hey jay welcome aboard! :)

Jay,

Welcome! I'm another Jay in Virginia. I'm an avid hobbyist and very amateur field naturalist in Fairfax County. My neighbors are slowly getting used to my 13' x 26' greenhouse :).

I live very close to Meadowlark Botanical Gardens (part of the Northern Virginia Parks Authority). They have a very sad native plant bog with a few CPs installed, and I've been trying to figure out a way to get them more interested in carnivores for display (and, hopefully, let me volunteer to help).

If you're interested in a mature Drosophyllum for the gardens, please look at the NASC auction. I would be happy to drive it to you for a chance to see LGBG.

welcome to the forums! Im right next door to ya on the MD side of things! nice to see more DC people around :D

Back