What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. tokaiensis white flower

I finally did it. There is now a white flowered D. tokaiensis. Only pink flowered plants have been found in nature. Using the Colchicine elixir I successfully transmuted a white flowered sterile hybrid D. x tokaiensis (D. rotundifolia X spatulata) it into the fertile D. tokaiensis. Thanks to Warren for selecting and keeping the best hybrid over the past five years. Through studying these we will have a better understanding of how the species came about. It’s a neat plant to grow too.
~Dr. FrankenSnyder

As it happens I managed to catch the untreated plants with flower about 1/3 closed this morning.

White Flower
IMGP1109_zpsemg86teh.jpg

IMGP1110_zpsbdcjcgrh.jpg

IMGP1126_zpsl4zstupz.jpg

Pink Flower
IMGP1112_zpsc3aownoz.jpg

IMGP1125_zpsv1t0tcfk.jpg

Beautiful, thanks Warren. Remember: be sure to label 'artificial';)

Great job! Those are very nice.

Fun stuff! I've always liked this hybrid.

Wow love it with the white flower this looks great congrats!

Very nice, Doctor FrankenSnyder!
Good to see that you're still busy in your mad scientist lab!
;)

Very pretty, congratulations. So it is self-fertile and can be reproduced by seed and/or leaf cuttings?

Very pretty, congratulations. So it is self-fertile and can be reproduced by seed and/or leaf cuttings?

Yes, it can now produce seed. I have begun taking leaf cutting, which it grows easily from. Soon it will spread around the world like the natural form has. But I hope it will always be known this one is manmade.

Yes, it can now produce seed. I have begun taking leaf cutting, which it grows easily from. Soon it will spread around the world like the natural form has. But I hope it will always be known this one is manmade.

Maybe register it as a cultivar? At least that way there will be some paper trail.

Maybe register it as a cultivar? At least that way there will be some paper trail.

I don't really care for fancy cultivar names; I like to just label it D. tokaiensis white flower. But that would be a way to record. Maybe after it becomes popularized. Or, maybe someone will want to reference it in a science paper as was done with two of my other evil creations.

I just received a paper about artificially reproducing D. tokaiensis:

Breeding and Cytogenetic Characterizations of
New Hexaploid Drosera Strains Colchicine-Induced
from Triploid Hybrid of D. rotundifolia and D. spatulata
Santhita Tungkajiwangkoon1, Junichi Shirakawa2,
Masako Azumatani3 and Yoshikazu Hoshi4*
© 2016 The Japan Mendel Society Cytologia 81(3): 263–269

The researchers make it sound so difficult:)

Did they have any white flowered fertile plants?

Back