What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orchids in Habitat - 2015 videos

Dactylorhiza in habitat at Site 5 on June 16th 2015 Part 1 of two. The orchids are a little later this year, the inflorescences of the darker ones are more advanced whilst the paler ones are only just opening their lower flowers.

Part 2 of two

Ophrys apifera in habitat at Site 5 on June 16th 2015. Early in the season for these orchids, many have not opened their first bud. I will return later to, hopefully, record the larger groups in flower.

Awesome videos as always, Fred. Love O.apifera, probably my favorite species in the genus.

Thank you Johnny.

Dactylorhiza at the Pleasley Vale Early Purple site on 17th June 2015. Still early in the season and not a lot of large groups evident. The site needs to be revisited in 10 to 14 days.

The site from the 16th revisited after a couple of weeks. Three videos in this.

Enjoy

The Ophrys apifera site revisited.

Enjoy Johnny :-D

There's a stills sequence at the end

Last edited:
Anacamptis pyramidalis, an all white Dactylorhiza fuchsii and Dactylorhiza incarnata

Last edited:
Dactylorhiza fuchsii - July 2nd 2015

The Dactylorhiza fuchsii site last visited on June 17th. I have tried a different format this time interspersing the habitat video clips with stills of individual orchids. I think it works but do you? Feedback is appreciated ( be gentle).
The orchids are not as good as last year. I was informed that the grass at the site was cut two months earlier than usual last year. Say no more!

Neottia ovata - Twayblade Country - July 3rd 2015

Neottia ovata, the Twayblade, on a SSSI near Mansfield. I've included both colour forms in the video. There's the green ones with the green stem and the other green ones with a brownish stem.

Last edited:
A very late visit to this SSSI compared to other years. A nice surprise bonus too.

On the 29th I also went to another site to look for Fragrant Orchids. I didn't find any but I did find a group of Pyramidal Orchids and here they are.

Back