Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Waxy mass

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year my D. filiformis was kept outside until Novemeber. Then I brought inside for the winter. It formed what I thought to be a hibernaculum and it looked dead/black. 2 months later, I saw green leaves emerge and also realized that one plant is now 2. It clumped. Later on in the Spring, shortly before it sent up flower stalks, it formed that same white fuzz. I posted a topic about it, because I didn't know what it was.

D, filiformis

I don't know the answer, but I have blazed the same trail.

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are a couple other shots of hibernacula forming on my D. filiformis plants...

Cheers
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about you guys but I definately notice a recline in growth on some of my sundews. It seems like all the new growth is turning inward into the middle and laying low like VFT guy in SJ's second picture. I notice the decline especially in my D. Intermedia. I'm beginning to wonder if I should start moving in my plants that don't have a dormancy, or if I should let them stay out there longer...
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve, thanks for sharing the pictures!
    Outsiders, If I remember correctly, you're in the Cleveland area. I think you have another month or so of keeping them safely outside. I'm a little north of Philly and summer hasn't gone away yet. My D. binata & filiformis are still producing leaves and the binata just got done flowering. As long as they're not freezing to death, they can stay outside until the forecast calls for freezing temps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I'm from the cleveland area. I was just wondering if it would make it easier on the plants to adjust to the grow chambers temps/photoperiod, then leave them outside to the lowering temps/lowering photoperiod.

Your Paradoxa is sending up a flower stalk btw.

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm unqualified to answer the question about grow chambers. Although, it would seem best that any approach that allows for gradual change in a given direction (light & temp) would be the best. Anything that mimics nature is the best. Maybe someone else with experience will chime in. Congrats on the D. paradoxa!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's why I'm thinking I should go ahead and bring in my non-dormant plants. It would be easier for them to adjust to the grow chamber now, then when they are used to the fall like weather. Also I'm sure the fall like weather will slow down their growth as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12