Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waxy mass

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings everyone. I hope all of you are doing well. This morning, I went and checked on my plants after they got a nice drink from last nights rain. When I checked my Filifromis(sp?), I noticed one of them had a ball-like waxy mass at its base where the "leaves" all join together before going into the roots. The mass is fairly stiff...kinda like wax. It also appears to be slightly translucent and I think I see new leave shoots within it.

Is this normal? Is this some sort of infection/infestation? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

I've attached a couple of photos that may be helpful. (I hope this works...this is my first time attaching a photo.)

Thanks,
    Dwight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like hibernacula are forming. D. filiformis has a hairy matt around the hibernacula and underneath it should be green and firm. My temperate sundews formed hibernacula about 3 weeks ago.

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Completely normal. Your plants are dormant for the winter.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the replies. It is good to know that this "mass" is part of its dormancy process. When I looked at it again, I did notice that its leaves were no longer covered in dew and appeared to not look as healthy.

This is my first year having sundews (and other carnivorous plants) and have them all do so well. I guess my next challenge is to get them to survive an Ohio winter. This leads me to my next questions.

I have D. capensis, filifromis, and binata (along with some purple pitcher plants, VFTs, and 4 varieties of nepenthes). Can someone tell more or direct me of which ones need to go dormant and how to do the process? I know that my nepenthes do not go dormant, but I could use some help on my sundews (and VFTs and Purple pitcher plants).

Have a great day!
    Dwight

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. binata, D. filiformis, VFT's, and S. purpurea go dormant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to be battling the Ohio winter too. I'm from around Cleveland and get pounded on by lots of snow. What I'm going to do is soak the media with some fungicide solution. Then take the pot and throw it in a ziplock bag. I'll then place these on my unheated garage floor.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not convinced the ziplock bag is a good idea provided you don't allow the substrate to totally dry out - humidity isn't an issue during dormancy and is likely to work more against you than for you.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's always been from my understanding that you do not want the substrate to completely dry out. It just needs to be damp, not flooded.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast