Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D.adelae - just my weird "theories"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theory 1
    D.adelae grows, grows, grows...then, it dies suddenly and do the possum thingy of sending out numerous plantlets from its roots.

I think D.adelae is a "colonizer". It is genetically coded to spread and colonize other areas. It spends part of its life growing numerous long roots. Then the mother plant decides to give up its life so that the roots can form plantlets.

So this is what I will be doing...I am going to remove some roots from time to time. Since that wouldn't hurt the main plant, I hope instead that it will be end up growing larger and not "play possum". [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Theory 2
    Since the climate here is so different from the rest of the world and I've only succeeded to grow D.adelae in pure perlite, I have decided to treat the plant like any of my lowland nep. Very loosely packed perlite/LFS mix, top watering and letting it dry out before the next watering. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img]

Experts, please critique!!!
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got about 4-5 Adelae plants recovering and sending lots of new growth up. I use 50/50 pete/perlite, with a top dressing of LFS. Then give them light. Easy.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey! my climate is the same as yours.

i keep them in semi shaded to full sun and they are kept in 1 part peat moss to 1 part perlite. does very well here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, so my climate is same as both of yours (clayton and cindy). I am a newbie and I ordered only 1 plant...
    what is the possum thingie and how long is the average plant's lifespan?
    Thanks

Hot, humid Singapore....but unfortunately, in a flat 7 stories up, sunlight blocked by tall buildings.......
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the first theory's right, i've been experiencing the dying-reincarnation-dying-reincarnation cycle over and over again. Now mine's a healthy little thing, grown from the mother's roots.
    BTW, How can we get D.adele seeds?
    A lady went into a grocery store and looked into the turket section. She needed a bigger one for her family, so she asks the stock boy: \"Do these turkeys get any bigger?\"

The stock boy replied: \"No ma'am, they're dead\"

Msn/email - wezx1@hotmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read that D. adelae doesn't set seed very often...or even at all...

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somewhere I read a post by Pinguiculaman that said in effect that that it's poor conditions, (or at least less than optimal) that lead to the "playing 'possum" thing, but I can't figure out where he wrote it. He doesn't experience what we experience - at least not anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your theory makes sense. My D. adelae grew smaller and smaller. Meanwhile, numerous offshoots began sprouting from long horizontal roots. The main plant eventually flowered.

Perhaps in cultivation the process of producing offshoots drains the mother plant of energy. It will be interesting to see if removing the offshoots restores the vigor of the mother plant.

Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast