What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosophyllum

I recently gotten some Drosophyllum seeds from the icps and I was wondering is the whole sandpaper thing and soaking in warm water for 24h necessary and how do you do this slack potting, if I read correctly you get a small pot and fill it with the media for the seeds and then you put that small pot in a bigger pot and in between the two pots, you fill it with lfs. Did I read this correctly, Also another thing, I have been wondering, is it true that you can only grow one Drosophyllum per pot, can they be grown with other cps and can they grow in bogs and are they root sensitvie like byblis. Also, is now a good time to sow them or do they need dormancy. Want to ask as many questions before trying out this plant

I recieved some seeds from a member a few months back. I sanded a small spot on the seed until I could see white. I then soaked them for 24 hours. I put all four seeds in a plastic pot with pure vermiculite and had it setting in about 1/2" of water. When one germinated I left it in the vermiculite for about a week and a half. After that I transfered the seedling to a 4" clay pot with 1:1:1:1/2 of sand,perlite,vermiculite,and peat. I then sat that pot in an 8" pot with the same mixture. It is a really cool plant. Hope that helped.
-Nick

Scarification is not necessary but it can speed germination. Ditto the 24 hour soak.

Slack potting is a bit more complex than you described. I think it is detailed on this site here. It also has a lot of general details as well. The ICPS seedbank site has some good info to so check it out as well.

One important thing about Slack potting is that the inner pot MUST be clay or the whole system deos not work.

A few people have found that they can be grown more than one plant per pot and they should not interfere with other CPs. I very much doubt that you can grow them in a bog as it would be too wet for their liking but you might be able to set up a pseudo Slack potting system to put in a bog. Might be worth a try if you have multiple plants.

The generally accepted beliefe is that they have very sensitive root systems and should not be transfered. However, this may be one of those urban plant myths that eeryone has accepted and no one has challenged. I have personally transfered Byblis liniflora which is also supposed to be root sensitive and the plants are doing wonderfully. I have also got some interesting data from a group doing Drosophyllum in TC and they have managed to transfer the plants out of flasks with low mortality so... Experiment as you see fit.

pyro:does that mean that drosophyllum will become greatly available soon?

Probably not Santiago, the data that I have are from a research group and not a production group. Plus they are in Portugal so...

I have heard that Drosophyllum can be repotted successfully when young (the person from whom I bought my plant, for example, told me), but that it will certainly die if repotted when older. I belive that it is best to avoid moving them if at all possible. A good idea (not my idea, though, but I have seen impressive results) is to get some peat-pots and sow one seed per pot. When the seeds germinate, the peat pots may be separated and placed in larger pots. I purchased my plant in a peat pot, planted the peat pot in a larger ceramic pot, and then later Slack-potted this larger pot. It worked very successfully.

Do both pots have to be clay, or just the inner pot. Can the inner pot be plastic and just drill holes in the side? Does it better how big the outer pot is, cause I have a big outer pot and a 6 inch pot. Can seedlings be transplanted, cause i'm currently germinating 4 Drosphylumm seeds without any treatment,since I do't have sandpaper for now. If I can't use plastic for the slack pot method, how do you water it in a single pot?, tray method and let the water evaporate?

In general, root-sensitive plants can be transferred successfully when enough of the media is moved with it, so it doesn't disturb roots. I have moved B. liniflora as well, without causing any major malfunctions. What it (the plant) doesn't know or isn't aware of, won't hurt it.

i had a spieces of plant (telegraph plant) that is like drosophyllum, but alot more sensitive,the roots are extremely thin and the roots branch, a snaped root near the central root would kill almost all the roots and snapping the root is realy easy.so i burned the plantic pot, yes burned it, after watering the soil, the pot half melted and the soil was perfectly intact, i simply transplanted the pot (with large holes having nothing but thin plastic threads in all difrent directions)
into a biger pot with HUGE SUCCESS !! now i wonder if i can imply this on drosophyllum?

Back