What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. rotundifolia

I think this is my favorite dew. Something about D. rotundifolia just gets me:

D_rotundifolia.sized.jpg

Capslock

I second that opinion!

I third it!

Too bad I cant grow this, my summers in Georgia are waaaay too hot. There is a population within 2 hrs of my house but it's up in the mountains.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Slurm @ Oct. 19 2005,6:47)]Too bad I cant grow this, my summers in Georgia are waaaay too hot. There is a population within 2 hrs of my house but it's up in the mountains.
Fascinating! Do you have S. purpurea montana there also?

Cheers,

Joe

WOW!! Thats a very stunning pic of a dew.. Very very nice.
smile_m_32.gif

VERY NICE. I think I see a bug in the middle of the picture; boy, he must be sweating beads....assuming he's still alive!

D. rotundifolia is a really great sundew. I remember how excited I was when I found them growing in the mountains.

Brian

I've never visited the population, but I know those who have. The Georgia D.rotundifolias only grow at high elevations on dripping, vertical cliff faces. I have also met people who have seen the Georgia population of S. purpurea monanum. Unfortunatlely there were only about a dozen plants left but there is an effort to save this population. I was camping for 2 weeks in the mountains in Georgia this summer. It was only a 2 hour drive from Atlanta, but the climate was drastically different. The county I was in is the second wettest county in the continental US. It was not unlike the pacific northwest. When I was there, in mid june, day temps were around 60-72f and the night temps were 40-55. It rained everyday for the 2 weeks. I looked for D.rotundifolia on a hike in the sub-alpine, mossy, cloud forest, But even though I was at over 2000 meters in elevation, and there were many dripping, sphagnum covered cliffs, I didn't find any sundews or other carnivores. I did, however find many chloraphyll free parasitic plants resembling white corn cobs, Trilliums 0ver a foot and a half across, 3 foot tall Jack in the pulpits and assorted small orchids. I also found brown lichens the size of cabbages at the summit of the mountain at about 2,500 metres The area was so similar to pictures of mossy forest in Southeast Asia that I probably wouldn't have been surprised if I came across a patch of N. rajah.

Back