What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundews that never stop flowering!

The following sundews of mine literally NEVER STOP FLOWERING!

- D. capensis
- D. spatulata

It's really crazy. It seems as soon as one flowerstalk becomes black and I chop it off to collect seed, another one is right behind it, growing in its place. Are my plants just really happy? Whatever it is, it's amazing to watch. Does anyone else have this "problem"?
smile_r_32.gif

LOL! Yes! Time to move you on to more difficult plants! These are the guppies of the CP world.  Let me know when you get a D. adelae or a U. sandersonnii (blue) to bloom. Nonetheless, good growing.

Please delete my accidental double post.

Hahahaha!

One of my D. adelae did bloom a few months ago. Really pretty flowers
biggrin.gif

Okay, what'd ya do to get 'em to flower? Inquiring minds....

Not quite sure exactly
smile_n_32.gif

Go to my website, then to "Terrariums", then to "Minibogs" where you'll find all the specs of my growing conditions. It was the D. adelae in the first minibog that flowered for me. It did so about three weeks after I planted it in there, so I'm guessing the conditions were favorable. After it flowered, the main plant died back and was replaced by four plantlets which are still growing in there to this day (which reminds me, I need to update my website quite a bit more!).

I've had D. adelae flower easily. Just dont expect seed
smile.gif

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. No seed
smile_n_32.gif

But the flowers looked pretty nice!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lol @ Oct. 25 2005,4:43)]I've had D. adelae flower easily.  Just dont expect seed
smile.gif
Ten years ago, I got seed from D. adelae, which I sent to the ICPS seed bank(why would I sow it? I had 100s of plants!). I did not do anything, the seed just happened after flowering, so I don't know if it was even viable. That is the only time it ever happened.

Cheers,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Oct. 25 2005,12:03)]Okay, what'd ya do to get 'em to flower? Inquiring minds....
I've gotten mine to flower, too.

I just had them in my grow chamber, under fluorescent lighting, high humidity, 18-hr photoperiod.

There were lots of small insects that made their way into the hood, and the D. adelae seemed to benefit quite a bit.

D.adelae is a real weed with me. It grows new plants from the roots all the time. I tested it ones, I had 3 adelaes growing in the same pot..I chopped them all down so nothing was left..just the roots..now there are about 9 new small plants in that pot.So now I have about 15-20 plants of it...

But I have never got it to bloom either.

My Lance Leaf Sundews are real weeds too. I have a classic terrarium that I started with just three of them and now there's probably around ten! They spread like mad through the soil. They're slowly taking over the tank
cool.gif

Now this spreading and plantlet thing I do experience. Maybe I'll try them outside during the warmer months, like under a table. I had all my plants outside last summer and had lots of spatulata, intermedia, livida, subulata, capensis... all over the place. Also, it was my tropical subdews only(adelae, capensis, and spatulata) that picked up aphids. Coincidence?

The D. adelae I had in my office use to flower quite easily. They do have very pretty flowers (as Dyflam has shown
smile.gif
). They are a like a spray of scarlet stars.

I think I had my adelaes at home flower too but the one at the office flowered more easily. It was in a semi-sealed tank in a west-facing window. Had a nice red/bronze coloring too.

When do they flower? Spring, Summer? Fall? When they feel like it?

When they feel like it. Mine is blooming now.

Awwww.... you're all making me sick! If it isn't cobra lilies, it's sandersonii blue, and if it isn't that, it's flowering adelae!
laugh.gif

If it's any consolation, I have as yet to get my P. ehlersiae to bloom in the three years that I have grown it
confused.gif

Back