Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sundew

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sent you a PM, but I'm not sure if you received it. Anyways, when I was in college, I had a floormate who was a "foreign student". His name was Pak-Lin Kwan, but it was Americanized as 'Peter'. Peter and his roommate (Steven Fu) became frinds with myslef and my roommate and would occasionally cook some meals for us. Two years later, I did an internship and stayed at school for the summer, taking an apartment. A few weeks later, Peter, coincidently, also took a room at the same apartment. We cooked a lot of meals together, me with my tuna noodle casserole and he with his various chicken / pork / beef and rice dishes, with that "10 year sauce". As providence would have it, we both graduated in December and both moved to the same city in New York State. He went for a Masters in Engineering and I went to look for a job. We continued our friendship there.

Mandarin, Cantonese, and Szechuan are also what the Chinese restaurants refer to as Chinese food, varying in style and intensity of spiciness. I love Chinese food - or at least what Americans think is Chinese.

No, I don't speak any Chinese. Do you eat with chopsticks? So you have "met" Cindy. I must warn you - she is a school teacher! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chopsticks? Cannot imagine living without them! Never heard of the '10 year sauce' but have you heard of the 'century egg' [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chopsticks? Cannot imagine eating without them! Never heard of the '10 year sauce' but have you heard of the 'century egg'? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I have! I think it was WickedThistle who talked about that one. Have you ever heard of a company that sells tropical fish, called "Dolphin International"? I am SO incedibly awkward with chopsticks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Never heard of the '10 year sauce' but have you heard of the 'century egg'?
    I know what century egg is too! I've even heard some people call it thousand year egg. It doesn't make much sense though. I would imagine that an egg being a hundred or thousand years old would be rotten by now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It just looks old. It is a kind of preserved duck's egg that after treatment, the egg white is black and clear and the yolk is sort of greyish in color. The taste takes some getting used to. When I was young, I hated it. Now I can take it occasionally. It is definitely not one hundred years old but it certainly looks rotten! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Nov. 13 2005,8:30)]Yes I have! I think it was WickedThistle who talked about that one. Have you ever heard of a company that sells tropical fish, called "Dolphin International"? I am SO incedibly awkward with chopsticks!
    Well, it helps to have practice. Here in Singapore, we use them three meals a day, if we are having Chinese! Holding it correctly is essential and one must not apply too much strength and not to be so light until them chopsticks drop off from your finger. It is a little bit like Tai Chi. You will have to develop the feel for holding them. I have to do corrective training for one year when I found that I was holding them incorrectly and I have to practice everyday. To find out if you have masterd chopsticks techniques, try picking up cubes of tofu without breaking them. It is definitely possible.

Yes, I have heard of Dolphin International. They are one of the many some kind of tropical fish exporter. There are many of them here and we get pretty strange stuff from all over Southeast Asia and South Asia. You into fish too?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]It just looks old. It is a kind of preserved duck's egg that after treatment, the egg white is black and clear and the yolk is sort of greyish in color. The taste takes some getting used to. When I was young, I hated it. Now I can take it occasionally. It is definitely not one hundred years old but it certainly looks rotten!
    I don't like the egg. I don't find that it tastes that good. There's also a really salty duck egg too that I don't like either. I forgot the English name for it though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast