What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundew

hi all, may i know how long does it takes to grow sundew? roughly like how many weeks or months? i would prefer the fastest growing sundew. thanks!! and also how long does it take to grow pitcher plant n venus? cos i'm doing a school project on it.. and i need the details to compare.. but i couldnt find it on many websites. thanks so much if i could know it asap!
smile.gif

Hi Amoureux! You should check out this website:

Carnivorous Plant FAQ

I found it to be very helpful in growing Venus Flytraps, and maybe it will help you.

Good luck with your project!

hey thanks! i've actually seen looked through that web b4. but it seems lyk most of them didnt generally state that how long it takes to actually grow one plant?

hihi, so could anyone help it? cos i need to know the answer soon..
confused.gif

and if anyone of u here have grown sundew plants and other carnivorous plants b4? like comparing both, are there any advantges sundews have over other carnivorous plants?? thanks so much! i'll appreciate all answers given..
smile.gif

Bonjour Mademoiselle amoureux and welcome to the forums. Basically, from the time one sows seeds until they mature and flower, most sundews take a year - 4 seasons. I'm not sure about VFT's or Pitcher plants, since I have either purchased them or have had them sent to me from friends.

Carnivorous plants fill a niche whereby they can live and thrive in nutrient poor soil media. While still a plant, doing photosynthesis and deriving nutrition through it, it has the added advantage of achieving nutrition by trapping and ingesting living critters as food. Different types of CP's have comparative advantage, depending upon where they grow and what is available to them. Pitcher plants are what theycal pitfall plants, because larger bugs walk on or land on thier pitchers and slip, where enzymes extract nutrients. A VFT can also catch larger bugs that happen to fly into or walk into their traps, stimulating the traps to close. Sundews & butterworts have a sticky substance that are excellent for smaller and lighter prey. Bladderworts catch food beneath the surface, using tiny sacks that suck prey into the bladders. It's like opening a door and having it be tough to open because of the air pressure differential. You get a whoosh of wind.

Here are some pictures:

S_leucophylla_purpurea_and_dixie_lace.sized.jpg

Pinguicula_primuliflora.sized.jpg

N_sanguinea.thumb.jpg

Drosera_capensis.sized.jpg

U_sandersonii.thumb.jpg

This is a sampling of different genera CP's from my collection.

hi, thanks!
smile.gif

hmmm. is there any other faster growin sundew? what about if i dont need them to flower, i would just want the duration of how long a seed would take to grow into a plant. i just require the leaf, cos i want the sticky gunk from the hair.

just a rough estimate will do, but preferably to specify how many months/ weeks. cos i wouldnt be growing CP in the end.

A D. burmannii is considered an annual, so it becomes a small adult plant within months. Some sundews produce plantlets (spatulata, aliciae, adelae,...) and those would become mature plants a lot quicker than from seed. Some plants produce plants easily through their leaves (D. binata & filiformis) and you can have mature plants within months. Depending where you live and what garden centres are out there, you can purchase these plants. You could also have some plants sent to you freely, from one of our growers. I'm guessing you're not from America, but I could direct you to other CP hobbyists.

More pics:

dscn0184.sized.jpg

dscn0172.sized.jpg

121_G.sized.jpg

101_0176.sized.jpg

120_G.sized.jpg

Oh, man, those are some really good looking plants you have there. Geez, and a lot of them look better than the ones I see on advertisements and for sale. Wow, I'd really like to be able to grow any just as nice someday. Those are just überly cool!

smile.gif
Very beautiful plants Jim, thanks so much for sharring these pics with us, its about time i get to see some of your dews..
smile_m_32.gif

thanks! yeah i aint from america, but from sg. and by the way, the pics are really beautiful! u really grew them well. hehe. thx
smile.gif

Qu'est-ce que c'est / ou est 'sg'?  To us'ns, 'sg' mean Savage Garden - the CP book. I know it's something obvious, but.... This is akin to VFT Guy in SJ and I would tease him about being in South Jersey or San Juan or Saint Josphina...

So is 'sg' like South Georgia or San Guadalupe or Saint George.

Funny you should write 'aint'. That is so American!  
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Seriously, I coaxed my supervisor into bringing in his digital camera on Monday, so hopefully I can post some more.

How is your project going? Are you buying CP's from a garden centre? Are there forum members (from your enigmatic place of origin) that can donate some plants?

haha.. actually i'm from singapore. and i dont understand french!
smile_m_32.gif
just that my nick is a french word.

my project is going on quite fine.. thanks. and it's ending soon!
laugh.gif

actually i'm just studyin the characteristics of the sundew plant. but i wouldnt need to grow it in the end.. but seems like fun though, so maybe i can try growing. hehe. and so far what i've heard, there arent any place that sell sundew here.. not anymore.

No French? Bummer! So you're from Singapore! There must be like 5 or 6 Singaporeans on this discussion forum. Off the top of my head, there is Cindy (the Moderator), Jason Wong, Clayton, Lam wn, gugin, cowbox, sunfish, tsonkiboy, jonpoh, Wezx, eBeyonder, Jalan,.... Okay, there are more than 5 or 6 and if you have the opportunity to check out the Foreign Services forum, the Singaporeans get together orders for plants. I'm sure that they would be happy to share with you as well.

You must keep us updated as to how this project turns out! Dumb question: is this for junior high, high school, or college?

Another dumb question: do you speak Mandarin or Cantonese or Szechuan? Yet another dumb question: Are you getting as hungry as I am, at the mere mention of Mandarin, Cantonese, and Szechuan?

One more odd question: Have you ever heard of 10 year sauce? One of my college roommates was a "Foreign Student" who introduced me to this sauce, which was a refrigerated bottle of spices and meat drippings, that just seasons beef, chicken,... and is perpetuated by the meat drippings. When cold, it looks like a disgusting, congealed blob. When heated and mixed with meat and rice, it enhances the flavour. Did any of that make sense?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] if you have the opportunity to check out the Foreign Services forum

What or who do we service, dear bro?
smile_m_32.gif
Broken CPs or CPers? Then send 'em over!

Cindy, meet Amoureux. Amoureux, meet Cindy. Cindy drives a motorcycle and plays with frozen bloodworms.  
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif
She's also a sweetheart, but don't tell her I said that!

oh hehe. yup, i've pm Cindy before.

haha. project for high school. i speak mandarin, and my dialect is neither szechuan or cantonese. but then cantonese sounds nice.. hmmm. do you speak any of them? and by the way, where are u from? haha, why hungry? you didnt mention any food. but cantonese dim sum is nice
smile_m_32.gif

10 year sauce? nah. i dont know what is that. but then there's alot of sauce which i think i wouldnt know the name either. i just eat them, cos i dont prepare the food. yeah but it makes sense.

my project is just to know more about the characteristics of sundews. yeah thats about it. i wouldnt have to grow them. or maybe i should try it myself. haha.

I sent you a PM, but I'm not sure if you received it. Anyways, when I was in college, I had a floormate who was a "foreign student". His name was Pak-Lin Kwan, but it was Americanized as 'Peter'. Peter and his roommate (Steven Fu) became frinds with myslef and my roommate and would occasionally cook some meals for us. Two years later, I did an internship and stayed at school for the summer, taking an apartment. A few weeks later, Peter, coincidently, also took a room at the same apartment. We cooked a lot of meals together, me with my tuna noodle casserole and he with his various chicken / pork / beef and rice dishes, with that "10 year sauce". As providence would have it, we both graduated in December and both moved to the same city in New York State. He went for a Masters in Engineering and I went to look for a job. We continued our friendship there.

Mandarin, Cantonese, and Szechuan are also what the Chinese restaurants refer to as Chinese food, varying in style and intensity of spiciness. I love Chinese food - or at least what Americans think is Chinese.

No, I don't speak any Chinese. Do you eat with chopsticks? So you have "met" Cindy. I must warn you - she is a school teacher!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Chopsticks? Cannot imagine living without them! Never heard of the '10 year sauce' but have you heard of the 'century egg'
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Chopsticks?  Cannot imagine eating without them!  Never heard of the '10 year sauce' but have you heard of the 'century egg'?  
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Yes I have! I think it was WickedThistle who talked about that one. Have you ever heard of a company that sells tropical fish, called "Dolphin International"? I am SO incedibly awkward with chopsticks!

Back