Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sundew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi all, may i know how long does it takes to grow sundew? roughly like how many weeks or months? i would prefer the fastest growing sundew. thanks!! and also how long does it take to grow pitcher plant n venus? cos i'm doing a school project on it.. and i need the details to compare.. but i couldnt find it on many websites. thanks so much if i could know it asap! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Amoureux! You should check out this website:

Carnivorous Plant FAQ

I found it to be very helpful in growing Venus Flytraps, and maybe it will help you.

Good luck with your project!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey thanks! i've actually seen looked through that web b4. but it seems lyk most of them didnt generally state that how long it takes to actually grow one plant?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hihi, so could anyone help it? cos i need to know the answer soon.. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]
    and if anyone of u here have grown sundew plants and other carnivorous plants b4? like comparing both, are there any advantges sundews have over other carnivorous plants?? thanks so much! i'll appreciate all answers given.. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonjour Mademoiselle amoureux and welcome to the forums. Basically, from the time one sows seeds until they mature and flower, most sundews take a year - 4 seasons. I'm not sure about VFT's or Pitcher plants, since I have either purchased them or have had them sent to me from friends.

Carnivorous plants fill a niche whereby they can live and thrive in nutrient poor soil media. While still a plant, doing photosynthesis and deriving nutrition through it, it has the added advantage of achieving nutrition by trapping and ingesting living critters as food. Different types of CP's have comparative advantage, depending upon where they grow and what is available to them. Pitcher plants are what theycal pitfall plants, because larger bugs walk on or land on thier pitchers and slip, where enzymes extract nutrients. A VFT can also catch larger bugs that happen to fly into or walk into their traps, stimulating the traps to close. Sundews & butterworts have a sticky substance that are excellent for smaller and lighter prey. Bladderworts catch food beneath the surface, using tiny sacks that suck prey into the bladders. It's like opening a door and having it be tough to open because of the air pressure differential. You get a whoosh of wind.

Here are some pictures:

This is a sampling of different genera CP's from my collection.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi, thanks! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

hmmm. is there any other faster growin sundew? what about if i dont need them to flower, i would just want the duration of how long a seed would take to grow into a plant. i just require the leaf, cos i want the sticky gunk from the hair.

just a rough estimate will do, but preferably to specify how many months/ weeks. cos i wouldnt be growing CP in the end.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A D. burmannii is considered an annual, so it becomes a small adult plant within months. Some sundews produce plantlets (spatulata, aliciae, adelae,...) and those would become mature plants a lot quicker than from seed. Some plants produce plants easily through their leaves (D. binata & filiformis) and you can have mature plants within months. Depending where you live and what garden centres are out there, you can purchase these plants. You could also have some plants sent to you freely, from one of our growers. I'm guessing you're not from America, but I could direct you to other CP hobbyists.

More pics:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, man, those are some really good looking plants you have there. Geez, and a lot of them look better than the ones I see on advertisements and for sale. Wow, I'd really like to be able to grow any just as nice someday. Those are just überly cool!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast