What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey, here are a couple pics. First, my D. regia which loves hanging out with highland neps:
D_regia2.sized.jpg

And here's a pot where I put a leaf cutting of D. madagascariensis and a D. tokaiensis. The other dews are D. dielsiana that appeared when a flower stalk got nearby. I have D. dielsiana EVERYWHERE.
D_tokaiensis_plus.sized.jpg

Also readily apparent is the green carpet moss that invades any peat mix I make. I don't really mind it, nor do the plants, but it invades everything.

Capslock

Ah.... regia!
smile.gif

Dang, amazing looking sundews Capslock. I especially love the D. regia! I just got one the other day and it's still very young. Hopefully it'll get to be as big as yours someday! What size pot do you have yours in?

Thanks! It's a four-inch pot only half-filled with old media. It's just what it came in. I literally do nothing but water it. I'm going to repot it soon, though, and try some root cuttings.

Capslock

Fantastic! The one I got off ebay should be that size soon. I can't wait
biggrin.gif
!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capslock @ Nov. 10 2005,1:31)]I'm going to repot it soon, though, and try some root cuttings.
For me, D. regia does best in a 8- or 10-inch pot with an open soil mix. I generally use a 60/40 sphagnum peat/perlite mix (more or less). Root cuttings work well. Take the fleshy ones that tend to wrap around the pot, but be careful to not whack the main root to the parent plant.

After my plant flowered this summer, the main top died back a bit and divided into several plants. It also spontaneously began to put out sprouts from roots. These were very easy to cut from the root and transplant.
D_regiaBigEasy2701.JPG

That regia looks like it might want to eat its Nep-neighbour Max! Wonderful pic of a great plant, and likewise to BobZ!

Cheers

Holy crap, that's tight
smile_k_ani_32.gif
! Got plants comin out the freakin drain holes! I've only known D. adelae to do that.

Here's my sad, little, young, new D. regia I recently got:

Drosera-Regia.jpg

He does have heart though, so maybe someday he'll be poking out of the drainage holes
smilie4.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BobZ @ Nov. 10 2005,5:44)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capslock @ Nov. 10 2005,1:31)]I'm going to repot it soon, though, and try some root cuttings.
For me, D. regia does best in a 8- or 10-inch pot with an open soil mix. I generally use a 60/40 sphagnum peat/perlite mix (more or less). Root cuttings work well. Take the fleshy ones that tend to wrap around the pot, but be careful to not whack the main root to the parent plant.
I find that the thin roots work well too and produce better plants. Young plants from thick roots "slow down" after a month or so, but the thin root plants keep going and grow bigger, faster. thick roots are also more prone to rotting.

Wow Bob, now there's a great d. regia! I'll try both thick and thin roots. I bought this plant on a whim when one popped up in a local indoor gardening store. I don't know why I never really considered getting one before, because it's a big, neat showy plant.

LleopardGghecko, yours is well on it's way, I wouldn't call it sad at all. It looks pretty happy, in fact!

Capslock

Man, if I found some at a garden center, I'd of bought them all! I'll post pics of my new one later today, but its lokin kinda tired right now
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Man, if I found some at a garden center, I'd of bought them all!

Seriously! I've never EVER seen D. regia at any of my local garden centers. Capslock: What garden center did you get it at and what company put those plants out?

Oh, and thanks for the nice words about my little regia. He appreciates it!
smile_m_32.gif

Nice regias. I mean all of them! Leopard, my two plants are about 1/2 the size of yours, so don't worry. I'm just happy that my plants are growing rather than dying. Hopefully my patience will be rewarded with some giants like Jim's & Bob's specimens. As for garden centres, I'd think I was hallucinating if I saw a regia in a garden centre!

Seriously
smile_n_32.gif

Hahaha! No, it wasn't a garden "center" chain store. It's a local indoor gardening shop, and some local enthusiast gives them cps to sell from time to time. I've seen some nice heliamphora there and some cool drosera. It's where I got a D. spatulata x capensis too. It was just one regia, unfortunately.

Capslock

Awwwwww, I want a store like that to get cool CPs from!

By the way, would you mind posting a picture of your D. spatulata x capensis?
biggrin.gif

Here is a pic of D. spatulata x capensis, along with some P. lusitanica and of course, carpet moss... all came from Max a few months ago.

Enjoy
Steve

spatcap1.JPG

It hasn't for me yet, but it was only 1 leaf when I got it. The P. lusitanica used to produce seed relentlessly, but has stopped flowering entirely in the last month or so.

Steve

Back