What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. madagascariensis

My D. madagascariensis plants are getting too big to support themselves and have finally toppled over. They really don't look the best toppled over, so what I want to know is if there's any way I can prop them back up. Is that even feasible? Is this just normal for this species? Should I just leave them alone?

See, the thing is, I'm planning on turning a couple of my 10 gallon tanks into classic terrariums. I want to transplant these sundews into one of the classic terrariums, but having toppled sundews on display isn't my idea of "good-looking." Should I just leave them the way they are and transplant them?

Hey,
I love D. madagascariensis! They are pretty tolerant of everything. You could prop 'em up. Or you could cut them off and they'll probably spring up from the roots. Or you could make leaf cuttings. It all works great! The ones I've left toppled over continue to grow, and new plants come from the brown stem. If you wait a while, you'll get a new plant soon enough, then you can cut off the toppled over one. Right now I'm doing a little experiment where I chopped the top inch or so off a toppled plant and just stuck it straight in some peat/sand. It's still green after a few weeks, and expect something to happen soon.

Capslock

Ah, excellent advice Capslock! I think I might just try cutting them off at the base of the stem, just because they're SO long. Hopefully they'll return from the roots!

Hey if you cut them off, make a bunch of leaf cuttings from the good part. You'll end up with lots of 'em!

Capslock

Oh really? I'll do it! Should I just stick them straight into peat or what?

well with that many cuttings I'd say experiment!!! stick a few straight in peat, put a few in distilled water by themselves (many sundews produce many plantlets this way) and lay a few on there side on different mediums to see what takes best.

Good luck,
zac

I agree. Most people swear by the water method, but I just snip a leaf off and put it on the same peat/sand it was growing in, but put a pinch on the ends to hold it down. Experiment!

Capslock

Thanks for the input Zac and Capslock
smile.gif

Hopefully I'll have a whole army of D. madagascariensis within a few months!

I also find that when I cut madagascariensis plants off at ground level, the growing point of the stem will usually root if planted. Once you have removed the growing tip and any other green leaves for cuttings, cut the brown stem into small sections and bury them horizontally a few mm under the soil surface. Plantlets often sprout from these bits of brown stem.

Greg

I think we have the king of the weedy Drosera here. I just harvested a single ripe fruit from D. madagascariensis and from the looks of it I'll be busy experimenting with this species
cool.gif

Cheers

After remaining upright throughout the summer, mine have gone horizontal, with all the old leaves having tirned brown. The new leaves are green.

Max, thanks for the guidance. My plants seem to die out, only to be replaced by new ones, in close proximity.

Back