Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: B. liniflora

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a very useful guide, Dewy. In my experience, flowers that have not been hand pollinated to not always produce seed on their own. I'd like to add a few comments, as I have tried several times to establish this species in my collection and have only succeeded in the last two years. I find that the earliest flowers on each plant tend to produce the most seed. Sometimes, the petals also persist for about a week or so, even when pollination later proves to have been successful. Also, interestingly, I sowed about 12 seeds from one of my adult plants last February, and was very disappointed when only two of them germinated (both of which sprouted within three weeks, and both of which are now flowering plants). Surprisingly, a further 5 have germinated during the last month, so to anyone who sows seed which has apparently failed to germinate, don't give up. Finally, I'm interested that you suggest growing the plants 5 inches from your flourescent lights. I grow my plants at least that distance away as well. I had numerous failures with this species when trying to grow them too close. They don't seem to like being kept as close to the lights as most Drosera species do. I also find that they do best with perlite in the soil mix. This seems to work far better than the simple sand/peat mix recommended by most books. I hope your guide ensures that this species finds its way into more collections. It is certainly worth growing.

Cheers,

Greg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Finally, I'm interested that you suggest growing the plants 5 inches from your flourescent lights. I grow my plants at least that distance away as well. I had numerous failures with this species when trying to grow them too close. They don't seem to like being kept as close to the lights as most Drosera species do.
    Agreed. I keep mine 8-12" under 80W cool white fluorescents and they grow fine/produce lots of dew. When I've brought them closer, the leaf tips begin to brown. I imagine they are more sensitive to the heat the bulbs produce than other, more robust CPs.

Quote[/b] ]I also find that they do best with perlite in the soil mix. This seems to work far better than the simple sand/peat mix recommended by most books.
    Also agree. I now use a 1:1:1 peaterlite:sand mix for mine. I find it's easier for the seedlings to root into, and there's less chance for compaction as the mix ages.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use pinguiculaman's method to germinate mine. I dunno where that thread is so if anyone finds it they can put it here... actually... I thought it was pinned... I guess not. Oh well, anyways I think it does work. I just completed the method on Saturday and I think I found a seedling this morning. It's kind of small to tell.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bump,for those that might have B. liniflora flowers.

John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a flower bud, but it's very tiny right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a flower that's about to fully open in a day or two, most likely tomorrow. What is this purple hairy thing? I don't see it and is there more than one, so I just completely cover this purple hairy thing in pollen?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (PiranhaPlant @ Jan. 09 2006,2:52)]I have a flower that's about to fully open in a day or two, most likely tomorrow. What is this purple hairy thing? I don't see it and is there more than one, so I just completely cover this purple hairy thing in pollen?
    It is in the center between the yellow "balls". There is only one of these per flower. You can't see the purple hairy thing (stigma) until the flower completely opens. Make sure you use a permanent marker to color a toothpick black. When the flower opens, use the black end of the toothpick, and stroke up and down on the yellow balls to release the pollen. If there is any pollen left on the flower petals,use the black end of the toothpick to transfer the pollen to the stigma. You should get around 25-60 seeds per flower bud using this method.
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long does a flower stay fully open, because I had a flower open a little bit, not fully and it closed a little bit. Is it too late or do flowers normally close at night time?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast