Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: B. liniflora

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I received a batch a few weeks ago and was instructed to use lemon juice. So far only one has germinated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was following pingmans instructions when I realized I wasn't allowed to touch the bottle of bleach... so after they soaked for a day in the hot water (it wasn't hot long) I put them all on peat, put a clear cup over it, and stuck it directly under a hd. They all sprouted except 1 in 1 week.

Chemicals are not necessary, though a drop of superthrive in the water doesn't hurt

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your not allowed to touch a bottle of bleach?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my mom got angry cos... last time I used the bleaching chemical i bleached a towel and it was all patchy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (droseradude @ June 29 2006,6:53)]I was following pingmans instructions when I realized I wasn't allowed to touch the bottle of bleach... so after they soaked for a day in the hot water (it wasn't hot long) I put them all on peat, put a clear cup over it, and stuck it directly under a hd. They all sprouted except 1 in 1 week.

Chemicals are not necessary, though a drop of superthrive in the water doesn't hurt
    I have been able to successfully germinate B.liniflora seeds by soaking them in water for 1-2 days, and then planting them. This method seems to work best for me and is very simple. I have also let the seeds stay in water and they germinated underwater. I think the main reason soaking them in water works well is because in their natural environment the seeds fall from the mother plant during the dry season and undergo a "dry stratification" period. When spring rains come it stimulates the seeds to germinate and the process starts all over again.
    dewy
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aside from spring rains breaking down the seedcoat, is there a minimum temperature that which they need to germinate?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]How do I know when to snip off the flower stalk, so I can collect the seeds? The petals fall off about a few days ago and the seed pod/fruit is swelling more and more each day. I don't want to wake up one day and look at the flower stalk and see a bunch of seeds all over the windowsill
    I've got some leaves that're covered in seeds. No big deal considering the volume of seed produced.

B. liniflora has seed pods which aren't critically or violently dehiscent- that is, they don't "throw" their seed very far. It's pretty easy to prevent the loss of seeds, all you need to do is check your buds once a day. The best sign that its ready is if you can see seeds through the ovary without it being cracked yet (just makes collection safer.) Them being brown is sort of a crapshoot, I've had ones that dry out a bit and brown but are nowhere near ready.

Just don't worry too much, the pods wont explode on ya if you ignore them for a few days or something! Pretty forgiving.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (jimscott @ July 02 2006,5:43)]Aside from spring rains breaking down the seedcoat, is there a minimum temperature that which they need to germinate?
    Usually about 80F for me. They also like high humidity.

I usually wait for the seed pod to split open before I harvest the seeds.
    dewy
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast