What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raise your hand if you think sundews own all cps!

Here are a couple pictures of some sundews of mine...

Colony of D. scorpiodes

Scorpion-Sundew.jpg

Colony of D. adelae

Lance-Leaf-Sundew.jpg

smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
WOW!!! LLeopardGGecko those are breath taking dews you have there and the pics are AWSOME!!! Can i come to your house and just sit and stare at them for awhile.. I think sundews rule the CP world not only for there beauty but for how cool they really are..
smile_m_32.gif

How hard is it to take care of the D. scorpiodes? Maybe sometime in the future i can get me one..
smile_l_32.gif
I have only 1 small D. adelae thats recooping from shipping but its doing pretty good. Thanks for sharring!!!!

D. scorpiodes isn't hard to take care of at all. I'd compare it to D. capensis:Very hard to kill and it grows like crazy. My plants seem to put out a new leaf just about every day! Plus they're really cool looking plants. I've always loved the look of their leaves...just as the name suggests, they look very scorpion-like, almost as if they're ready to strike
blues.gif

Very nice plants--your D.adelae is nicely colored.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (*Barracuda_45* @ Nov. 23 2005,3:37)]How hard is it to take care of the D. scorpiodes
Piece 'o' cake! They have a more developed root system than most CP's, so when you do get some gemmae, mix a healthy portion of sand to peat and allow several inches of depth - and don't transplant.

Awesome plants
smile_m_32.gif
What conditions do you grow your D. adelae in? I wish mine looked that good!

I grow both the D. scorpiodes and the colony of D. adelae you were asking about in a classic terrarium under 53 watts of light (compact flourescent - mix of warm white light and daylight):

FullTank.jpg

This picture was taken a few weeks ago, but you get the picture
smilie4.gif

Here are a few of my sundews - all grown open tray, at SW window sills:

AF002801.jpg

AR000102.jpg

AF002401.jpg

AF001901.jpg

Great plants Jim!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

How hard is D. paradoxa to grow? I've always wanted to try it.

And that last picture is my favorite. It looks all swampy and everything
cool.gif
Plus you can see the B. liniflora in the background. How old are those little guys?

Sundews totally rule!
Beauty and effectiveness.
Man, you guys' plants look so nice!
My binatas are still only babies, and adelae is like 2.5 inches across. How did you get it to have red hairs? Mine only has red hairs when the leaf is unfolding. Then they turn white and make dew... quite enough of it
smile.gif
just had its first meal of a fruit fly
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] How did you get it to have red hairs?

The plants in my classic terrarium get quite a bit of light, and the source is very close to them (roughly 5 inches away).

Good to hear about your plant's first meal! Hopefully there's many more to come
smile.gif

I have to say the 'dews rule for me. I've always been a 'dew fan. They are just strikingly beautiful.

Oh and those "hairs" are tentacles.
smile.gif

Beautiful plants you guys.

I also have to agree. DEWS ARE AWESOME!
smile_n_32.gif

For me, it is a tie between Drosera and Pinguicula. Nepenthes are nice, but they just take too much space.

Now that I think about it, I think Dews are the most effective bug catchers followed by Ping's and VFT's then Neps and Sarra's. Oh and they are the coolest looking.

-Rail

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Nepenthes are nice, but they just take too much space.

I agree. I just don't have room for a lot of Neps, but I do have the room for many, many Drosera
biggrin.gif

Mitch: The red coloring is a function of lighting. I just kept them at SW window sills. D. paradoxa is an easy plant to grow and is ~1.5 years old. The Byblis plants were several months old.

They're OK, I don't mind them.
smile_m_32.gif

Back