What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flower

My D.Aliciae flowered last week and its starting to form the buds...I was wondering if it needed more sunlight or anything new now that its flowering.Wind or cold wont be a problem right? It only gets down to 50's at the most.

If it's flowering what it's really doing is saying "these growing conditions are great keep them up" (imagine if life were that simple, the plant told you what it wanted). Anyway i'd keep them the same if I were you. Congrats on the flower

Zac

I'm going to agree with Zac on this one. If your plant is flowering that means it's really enjoying your conditions, so don't change anything. Keep up the good work!

plants also flower when stressed.

Are you sure that's true? Cause if they flower when stressed, they'd just make themselves more stressed, since they're using more energy.

Yeah, some try a last ditch effort to produce seed and reproduce before cashing in. But I don't think that is the case here.

Wow, I honestly never knew that. Maybe that's why so many of my first Venus Flytraps flowered
biggrin.gif

Um, just what are your growing conditions - lighting, soil, temps...? I've got perfectly reddened, 1.5 year old colony, that produce lotsa plantlets -n but have no inclination to flower.

They get about 10 hours of sunlight in 50/50 peat/perlite and the temps around here are kinda wacky right now.One day it dosnt get below 80 the next day it stays around 60.I think its liking the colder temps though because its more or less winter in FL (except for the odd rainy summer like days)

Reason I asked that question was because the stalk is looking kinda lanky and has some bends in it....was thinking it needed more sunlight.

Bending is often a sign of a plant looking for more light. Can you post a picture? Can Florida and winter be used in the same sentence?
smile_m_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

Back