What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*Barracuda_45*

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama
smile.gif
Hey guys by any chance does anyone here grow these dews? And if so can you tell me your growing experiance with them, how to germinate, how well does the plants do ease of care and so forth.. Im thinking about geting these seeds and befour i do want more info on them.. Thanks Everyone!!

Heres the dews im asking about.
D. Erythrorhiza magna
D. Stolonifera
D. Auyan tepui
D. Dielsiana

If you have any pics of them could you please post um..
Thanks again!!
smile_m_32.gif

I just had some seed of D.dielsiana germinate after waiting a few months. I sowed them on top of 1:1:1 peat:perlite:sand, in a covered pot 6" under 80W cool white fluorescents, 65-80F. I did not pretreat them.

The seedlings seem to be growing slowly, but I'm being patient with them.

Eye dew! Well, at least the D. dielsiana. I was given seeds last year and this year the plants have flowered. I beleive they are tropicals and can grow on the SW windows sill all year round. I mix sand & peat and topdress with LFS.

Well, first off, the erythrorhiza and stolonifera are tuberous Drosera - they'll need a good loooooong hot summer to germinate in the fall/winter - lot's of patience necessary!
Auyan Tepui should be a good cool-climate grower.
As for dielsiana, they're a weed in my collection now. Here's a very bad pic of some D. dielsiana KHT-1 (many thanks again, Tamlin!):
ddielsiana9ha.jpg

These plants are in a 2" pot, and the one on the right has finished flowering and setting plenty of seed.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Amori

The only Drosera out of that group that I have any experience with is D. dielsiana. I got some seeds from the ICPS many months ago and the seedlings are still pretty small, but growing very well under my compact flourescents and in very wet conditions.

I also got a D. dielsiana from Jim a little over a week ago. It's already putting out some new leaves, so I wouldn't say they're too hard to grow. They're great plants!

Thanks again for the plants Jim!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shokuchuu @ Nov. 28 2005,12:19)]Well, first off, the erythrorhiza and stolonifera are tuberous Drosera - they'll need a good loooooong hot summer to germinate in the fall/winter.
Not actually true. As long as the seeds are fresh all they require is a cool/cold period in winter to germinate. Mine are sown in early fall and germinate as soon as the night temps drop down to about 2 deg C (sorry don't know F). I definitely agree you will need alot of patience though to raise them to maturity- definitely not beginners plants.

The D. Auyan Tepui is most likely just a form of D. spatulata. For some reason these seed have been passed throughout the world and always turn out to be D. spatulata.

As the others have said, D. dielsiana is easy to grow and will germinate after 3-4 weeks in good conditions with fresh seed.

Hi,

Andreas Fleischmann mentioned on our german forum, that the true D. sp 'Auyan Tepui' seems to be no more in cultivation. He also said, the plants originally collected at Auyan Tepui were erect plants, similar to filiformis.

Christian

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Seandew @ Nov. 28 2005,3:58)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shokuchuu @ Nov. 28 2005,12:19)]Well, first off, the erythrorhiza and stolonifera are tuberous Drosera - they'll need a good loooooong hot summer to germinate in the fall/winter.
Not actually true. As long as the seeds are fresh all they require is a cool/cold period in winter to germinate. Mine are sown in early fall and germinate as soon as the night temps drop down to about 2 deg C (sorry don't know F). I definitely agree you will need alot of patience though to raise them to maturity- definitely not beginners plants.

The D. Auyan Tepui is most likely just a form of D. spatulata. For some reason these seed have been passed throughout the world and always turn out to be D. spatulata.

As the others have said, D. dielsiana is easy to grow and will germinate after 3-4 weeks in good conditions with fresh seed.
Seandew, that's extremely good to know. I'll get sowing then!

Cheers

Thanks everyone for the info and advise, "IF" i get these dew seeds i will let you know how it goes with germination and such.. I have plenty of patients when it comes to waiting on them germinating..
smile_m_32.gif

shokuchuu, awsome pic and beautiful dew..

Christian Dietz, if thats the case on Auyan Tepui and they are no longer in cultivation then how can people say thats what these seeds are truely from?? Are people miss labling these dews??

[b said:
Quote[/b] (*Barracuda_45* @ Nov. 28 2005,8:58)]Christian Dietz, if thats the case on Auyan Tepui and they are no longer in cultivation then how can people say thats what these seeds are truely from?? Are people miss labling these dews??
Because growers who do not have much idea about Drosera keep obtaining this seed, growing it to maturity and passing the subsequently produced seed off as D. sp. "Auyan Tepui" without realising it is only D. spatulata.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Seandew @ Nov. 27 2005,10:58)]
[b said:

Seriously?
So if you stuck the pot in the fridge every night and then took it out for the lights each day, you "might" get germination?

Thanks,

Joe

Hi,

I have myself grown many plants from seeds i got as D. sp 'Auyan Tepui'. They always turned out to be D. spatulata or D. dielsiana. Mislabelled plants are common if it comes to Drosera. I don't know how many times i got seeds labeled as D. affinis, burkeana, communis, montana, kaieteurensis, esmeraldae (and some more i do no more remember), that nearly all turned out to be D. spatulata. Some years ago i even got seeds of D. nidiformis labelled as D. madagascariensis (something, that even an untrained eye must realize to be wrong) or D. aliciae seeds labelled as D. sessilifolia! Not to mention the many wrong labelled plants i got! I am sure, there are still many of these plants around and people do not even realize, they are growing something wrong. Checking Drosera ids is a must (and for all other species too).

Christian

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Nov. 29 2005,12:07)]Seriously?
So if you stuck the pot in the fridge every night and then took it out for the lights each day, you "might" get germination?

Thanks,

Joe
Most certainly! The most important thing though is to ensure that the seed is fresh (difficult to do).

Last season I had success with every species I sowed- including species such as D. stolonifera, ramellosa, macrophylla, platypoda, erythrorhiza, macrantha, graniticola, bulbosa, neesii and others.

As soon as the night temps got down to close below 40F (5 deg C) I began to get germination. When they got down to about 35F (2 deg C) they all germinated. After sowing it took about 2 months before I saw the first signs of germination. The same has occurred in past years.

Your idea of placing the pots in the fridge overnight may work but you will need to ensure that the pots are covered to prevent the substrate from dehydrating. I'd be careful about placing them too close to the lights though as you don't want the day temps to get much above 65F (17 deg C)- ideally maxing at around 15 deg C.

For easy species like D. auriculata and peltata, I wouldn't even bother. They should germinate in night temps down to around 47-51F (8-10 deg C).

Since the original post requested images, here is my stolonifera from a couple years ago. It is still working on getting up right now.

stolonifera%20plant%201.JPG

Beautiful plant. Pyro. My recently acquired stolonifera tuber is starting to grow. I hope it turns out to be half as good as that one!

Is it possible to do leaf or root cuttings with tuberous sundews?

Thanks fot the comments Greg. That is was the plant's second season, it did not look nearly as impressive the first year.

Pirhana, according to a number of sources it is possible to strike leaf cuttings but they usually do not have enough time to establish and put down a tuber of their own. The best method for propogating these guys seems to be seed or tuber division. And TC

Seandew, that is fantastic info and thank you very much for sharring that with us..

Pyro
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
WHOLY COW!! That is a BEAUTIFUL dew you have there.. Just awsome and the pic is fantastic...
smile_m_32.gif
smile.gif

Great looking plant Pyro
smile.gif

I love the look of tuberous Drosera. They have a certain elegance to them.

Back