Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Grow These Dews?

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama *Barracuda_45*'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] Hey guys by any chance does anyone here grow these dews? And if so can you tell me your growing experiance with them, how to germinate, how well does the plants do ease of care and so forth.. Im thinking about geting these seeds and befour i do want more info on them.. Thanks Everyone!!

Heres the dews im asking about.
    D. Erythrorhiza magna
    D. Stolonifera
    D. Auyan tepui
    D. Dielsiana

If you have any pics of them could you please post um..
    Thanks again!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    Hey buddy wana run, LETS GO!
    Northern Michigan All Car Drag Team *PRESIDENT*
    Red Hot Cherry's "NEW" PB 8.741 GO CHERRY! & "5" 1st place trophy wins 9 sec class.
    www.nmacdt.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just had some seed of D.dielsiana germinate after waiting a few months. I sowed them on top of 1:1:1 peaterlite:sand, in a covered pot 6" under 80W cool white fluorescents, 65-80F. I did not pretreat them.

The seedlings seem to be growing slowly, but I'm being patient with them.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only heard of the last one :P

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eye dew! Well, at least the D. dielsiana. I was given seeds last year and this year the plants have flowered. I beleive they are tropicals and can grow on the SW windows sill all year round. I mix sand & peat and topdress with LFS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, first off, the erythrorhiza and stolonifera are tuberous Drosera - they'll need a good loooooong hot summer to germinate in the fall/winter - lot's of patience necessary!
    Auyan Tepui should be a good cool-climate grower.
    As for dielsiana, they're a weed in my collection now. Here's a very bad pic of some D. dielsiana KHT-1 (many thanks again, Tamlin!):

These plants are in a 2" pot, and the one on the right has finished flowering and setting plenty of seed.

Good luck!

Cheers,
    Amori

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only Drosera out of that group that I have any experience with is D. dielsiana. I got some seeds from the ICPS many months ago and the seedlings are still pretty small, but growing very well under my compact flourescents and in very wet conditions.

I also got a D. dielsiana from Jim a little over a week ago. It's already putting out some new leaves, so I wouldn't say they're too hard to grow. They're great plants!

Thanks again for the plants Jim!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (shokuchuu @ Nov. 28 2005,12:19)]Well, first off, the erythrorhiza and stolonifera are tuberous Drosera - they'll need a good loooooong hot summer to germinate in the fall/winter.
    Not actually true. As long as the seeds are fresh all they require is a cool/cold period in winter to germinate. Mine are sown in early fall and germinate as soon as the night temps drop down to about 2 deg C (sorry don't know F). I definitely agree you will need alot of patience though to raise them to maturity- definitely not beginners plants.

The D. Auyan Tepui is most likely just a form of D. spatulata. For some reason these seed have been passed throughout the world and always turn out to be D. spatulata.

As the others have said, D. dielsiana is easy to grow and will germinate after 3-4 weeks in good conditions with fresh seed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Andreas Fleischmann mentioned on our german forum, that the true D. sp 'Auyan Tepui' seems to be no more in cultivation. He also said, the plants originally collected at Auyan Tepui were erect plants, similar to filiformis.

Christian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast