What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

North American Sundews?

Are they any North American sundews that I can grow outside year round in Wisconsin?

D. rotundifolia, D. intermedia are two - but you will need to mulch / insulate them.

I highly recommend Drosera anglica.  I found colonies of this plant growing in areas of the mountains that can get -50F in the winter.  The plants that Jim mentioned are also good.  One thing to take into consideration is the location where the plants originate.  For example, D. intemedia grows in South-eastern U.S., Northern U.S., parts of Europe, and there are also tropical forms.  Try to find plants that originate from the coldest regions.

A good place to get seeds is the International Carnivorous Plant Society.  Some good canidates from their seed list are:  D. intermedia from Germany, and D. anglica and D. rotundifolia from Alaska.  I have all three and they do just fine on my sunny deck.

I would also recommend seeking out some natural bogs in your area during the spring.  You should find S. purpurea, and all three of the listed sundews.  A person can learn a lot from observing plants in their native habitat. It will be a great experience.

Brian

Back