What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundews on speed

I have a small (but incredibly fast growing) colony of D. burmannii in a fish bowl terrarium, just chillin' under a single 23 watt compact flourescent bulb, lovin' every second of it. Before I continue, you must understand that the reason I pursued getting this plant into my collection is because of its alleged super-quick moving tentacles. Until this point, the plants have been too small to feed. Very recently I decided that they were big enough to start feeding...FEED ME SEYMOUR! FEED ME NOW!

...Sorry, I got carried away there. I think I played "Little Shop of Horrors" one too many times
smile_n_32.gif
Anyways, I decide to feed my little sundews some bugs, and...how do I say this...WOW! You can actually see the tentacles move in towards the prey, and it's not slow. Just amazing to see in action. Here I was thinking that D. scorpiodes was the fastest in my collection. Boy was I wrong! Yes, that plant is very fast at overpowering an insect, but I think it comes in at a close second to D. burmannii.

Dang, just when I think I have a permanent favorite sundew, one of my other sundews comes along and does something incredible like this. Ah, the rough life of a CP grower
smilie4.gif

My burmannii is still too small to feed it, my byblis is younger than the burmannii and already it has 15 leaves :p

My D.burmanii are almost big enough to feed--can't wait.

How big does burmanii have to be before it can be fed?

The byblis is hogging all the sunlight :p and I think I see a flower stalk forming, I hope it is
smile.gif
. Can the flower stalk also digest insects?

I think I'll have to try getting some of those... burmanii seems to be so popular around here...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How big does burmanii have to be before it can be fed?

I think my plants were around a month to a month and a half old when I started feeding them. I'm sure you can feed them before that, but the bugs would have to be VERY small.

Hmm... I think I'll wait until spring. Right now, they don't have any nice growth, and they're still pretty small. Thanks!

Yeah they are quick. Whenever I feed my seelings a bloodworm/fish food meal, within minuets the leaves are completly folded.

-Rail

Hey Copcar, what kind of fish food do you use to feed your sundews? I'm thinking about trying it. Will any ol' fish food work?

I use Tetrafin Goldfish Flakes, I figure you could use anything. But I saw much more of a reaction by mixing it with bloodworms and crushing it all to a powder. My seedling D. Capensis absolutly LOVE it. I get new, larger leaves the day after feeding every time.

-Rail

Does the D Burmanni die off, and do you have to grow from seed each year?
Jeff

In my experience D. burmannii acts more like an annual where after flowering it usually dies and then I grow again from seed. But, this has only been a couple years of growing, not enough to say that it is the "norm" for burmannii.

This is only my first time growing D. burmannii so I'll have to get back to you on that. From what I've heard it dies after it flowers.

Back