What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. binata stem cuttings

Last month I thought it would be such a waste to let all the foliage on my only D. binata 'dichotoma' die back for winter.  So I decided to make some leaf cuttings to winter in my terrarium.  In addition to the leaves I decided to throw in some half inch pieces of the stem.  And to my surprise new plants are starting to emerge from the stem.  If anything I would have expected to the plants to emerge from the ends where the cuts were made however, the plants are emerging along the whole length of the stem.  

This may be old news for most of you.  I'm quite the newbie and from what I've read, nobody mentioned anything about stem cuttings from a D. binata.  I'll post some pictures when the plantlets are a bit larger.

CS

D. binata is such a fun plant. I have taken whole leaves and placed them in 50 ml centrifuge tubes with DI water and have seen 15-20 new plantlets emerge from along the whole leaf.

Im gonna try this with mine once they grow up (they are about 3/4 inch now)... I wanna have a massive binata bush
smile.gif

Seems like it's either a complete hit or miss for me when it comes to d.binata leaf cuttings. They either produce multiple plantlets, or completely rot, given what seem like the same conditions.

I'm sure you'll get one of your tries to work.....and once it does, you'll have more plants than you'll know what to do with!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Seems like it's either a complete hit or miss for me when it comes to d.binata leaf cuttings.

It's only been miss for me
smile_h_32.gif
I've tried D. binata leaf cuttings three different times and I've yet to get any plantlets. Such a sad story...

something that I tried after reading a post here (which might have been sarraceniascott's, I don't recall)

I have this one sundew (maybe D.venusta, it came to me as D.coccicaulis and I have no idea whaat it is for sure) that kept throwing up flowers (still is, and it has ben doing so for over 6 months straight while all my others have stopped) that NEVER produce seeds... since the stalks are large and seem to really take aay from the main plant, I cut a few off and chopped them up and put 'em in a pot and I now have HORDES of them, I was kind of surprisd at just how successful it was, given that leaf and stem cuttings have failed me 9 times out of 10 no matter which method I use....

SO yeah, when in doubt, give it a shot, you wil usually be surprised

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It's only been miss for me I've tried D. binata leaf cuttings three different times and I've yet to get any plantlets. Such a sad story...

I know where you're coming from. For me, it's cephalotus. Growing cephs is impossible for me, no matter what I do!

Funny how we all seem to have our "achilles heel". For me, in spite of some early faiulres with Cobra Lilys and getting some plants tp flower, I have absolutely no skill whatsoever with U. alpina. But yet I get lucky with B. liniflora or P. primuliflora or D. adelae or C. follicularis.

Oh... and there's that stray Drosophyllum that mysteriously shows up in a pot. It didn't miss a beat when I moved it to another container or when I transferred it from the lab to the townhouse.... and back to the lab. We'll see if my luck runs out when I drive it (and the whole collection) to East Aurora tomorrow.
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]We'll see if my luck runs out when I drive it (and the whole collection) to East Aurora tomorrow.

Good luck with that!!!

Dude, every single part of binata plants can be used for propogation. I've been doing this for years, and through multiple deaths of my collection, most of those binata cuttings survived. I took cuttings of my extrema about a month ago, using the oldest leaves with no dew. Now I have like 15 plants popping up! I also used the flower stalk for cuttings, and now I'm expecting another 15 or so. Anybody want some D. multifida extrema?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I also used the flower stalk for cuttings, and now I'm expecting another 15 or so.

Not a bad idea....I'll have to give it a shot.

Back