What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera madagascariensis

I have seen pics of Drosera madagascariensis everywhere, and they look like very beautiful plants. I don't have room for them now, but I was wondering if anyone had success growing this plant? Is it simple, or hard to grow?

-Ben

it's very easy. i grow mine next to the capensis.

if you'll send me a pm this upcoming spring i'll send you one. i don't feel comfortable sending it this late in the year.

Alright, great. I suppose by then I'll have something to trade with you.

-Ben

they need good light other than that if you can grow capensis or any of the other South Africans you should be good to go. they are fairly easy to start by seed or root cuttings

Yeah, 'cause I have a healthy D. capensis in my 10 gal., plus some healthy baby D. capensis 'Alba'.

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Dec. 10 2005,1:36)]they need good light
they are fairly easy to start by seed or root cuttings
smile.gif
Oh thats awsome to know im gona be starting some madagascariensis by seed within the next 2 weeks so i will keep everyone posted as to how long it took to germinate and how well they do..
smile_m_32.gif

Well, mine are just about germinating after about 2 weeks. This is in sub optimal conditions, so a little more warmth (~80F) should boost the rate. Other than that, weedy!

Cheers

yeah, they are a great plant, other than the floppiness issue they are dead easy to grow

How long does the stem grow to, exactly? And if I put one into a classic terrarium (soil on the bottom, not pots) would it just be ok for it to trail along the ground?

-Ben

it doesn't take too long- I have only grown it from cuttings, but the stem starts pretty much as soon as it starts growing, haven't observed any sort of basal rosette action or anything...
as for the "triling along the ground" thing, I'm sure it's fine, mine just flopped over once they got maybe 4-5 inches high and are now 2 long, dead-looking scrambling stems with the actual growth points a few inches aay from the pot... I plan on re-rooting the "tips" and chopping the brown stem into cuttings eventually as per advice I read here

mine flop over at 4 or 5 inches. at which point i cut them off fairly close to the soil and ill get 3 or 4 of them coming back from the roots.

The 1 I have came with the stem broken, It was only 2 or 3 nodes tall, so I just buried the whole thing, leaving leaves at each node above the soil, Now I have 2 plants growing one is starting it's 3rd node, the other is starting the 2nd.

Mine came to me ~18 months ago as seedlings from Copper. There were 3 plants and after ~6 months those plants died, while new ones sprang up alongside. During this summer, those replacements grew vertically to ~4", but never flowered. During the fall, they flopped over and are now horizontal, with the oldest growth now being brown and the newest being green. I will probably either sever or bury the stems, as has been suggested in another topic. Here's a picture, taken this fall:

AF002201.jpg

Back