What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. rotundifolia

*Barracuda_45*

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama
Ok well its been a few weeks since i posted about a dew i had recived that i wasnt sure what it was and of course you all had helped me figure out what it was. D. Rotundifolia. I had posted a few pics of what it looked like back then, well heres some update pics. Bare with me as you know my crappy cheesy dig cam dont get pics to well of dews nor does it show how pretty the red dew drops are.
This was 3 wks ago.
sundewisthis1.jpg

sundewisthis2.jpg

and this is now.
roundleafdew.jpg

dewA.jpg

sorry it dont show any of the red in it, stupid crappy cam...
smile_l_32.gif
my reflection sorta bounced of the glass in this pic.
dew.jpg

and this was with flash when the over head lights were off.
RDewA.jpg

I love this dew it grows quickly and is just breath taking beautiful... I deffinately need a new dig cam that can capture the beautiful colors and upclose dew.

Oh this is so sweet... makes me really happy that I sown about 30 seeds
smile.gif

Very beautiful dew! Hope it grows big and even more beautiful!

My cam is also absolutely no good for capturing the beauty of close up dews
smile_h_32.gif

smile.gif
Thanks Dimka, your gona love this dew, it grows very quickly and seems to get very good size to it, i have seeds commin in and cant wait to get um planted i want lots more of these dews... LOL!!!
smile_n_32.gif
Good luck on germinating yours and i hope you have lots beautiful Rotundifolia's.
smile_m_32.gif

The plants are looking real good, there!
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Dec. 13 2005,1:09)]The plants are looking real good, there!  
smile.gif
smilie4.gif
Notice the 2 plants together next to the Rotundifolia Jim? Well you know where they came from..
smile_m_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
that Burmannii is growing like crazy. And that moss pile in the left top corner well it had those Intermedia's in it,, well it sorta went dormant and now its growing like crazy again, i will get pics of those to in a few weeks.

Thanks Jim!!!!
smile_m_32.gif

Hey Barracuda, how did you germinate your seeds? or did you just get the whole plant? I just want best results for my seeds... if anyone knows?
Again, beautiful plants... can't wait to have a forest of those!
smile_n_32.gif

Dimka, the Rotundifolia came to me as a tiny plantlet, i didnt grow it from seed but i shall soon have my Rotundifolia seeds and will be planting them right away. As for other seeds i did plant and have germinated i just use a mix of canadian peat moss, fresh spagnum moss choped up to tiny bits, perlite and some sand, mixed it all together got it real moist and poked tiny holes all over the top of the mix with a fork then sprinkled seed all around the top and sat the pots in my germinating tank in 1 1/2inch distilled water with the lights on 24-7. Seems to work good for me..
heres a pic of the first seed chamber batch that already germinated and those pots got moved to growing tanks.
cpseedgrowingchamber.jpg

Im gona be rigging up a diffrent germinating tank as this one is to small and i need MORE ROOM!!
smile_n_32.gif

Oh well so its the same thing I do. I was just wondering if anyone used cold stratification?

I'm using cold strat on mine, but I just started them a week ago, so I can't give any results yet. I started seeds from the following:

D. filiformis var filiformis
Sarracenia purpurea subsp. purpurea (Saco, ME)
Sarracenia oreophila
Drosera rotundifolia
Dionaea muscipula

Using cold moist for all of them, dunno if thats good for the VFT's but eh, I only had one planter so it got divided up and seeds spread out in there section.

I now have it sitting in a unheated room, in a window, the storm window (outside) is closed but the normal window is open. The planter freezes almost every night, if the outside temp drops below 10-15F. Then thaws during the day if temps get up over about 15-20F. I mist the seeds every few days, just to add a bit more moister, hoping to break the wax coating of the sars.
After a month or so, I'm going to move them under the lights and into warmer temps.

You're very welcome!
smile.gif

AH! DARN!!!
Because of this post I decided to plant more D. Rotundifolia lol. Now I got about 50 more Rotundifolia seeds sown! lol

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Im gona be rigging up a diffrent germinating tank as this one is to small and i need MORE ROOM!!

MORE ROOM!!!...the eternal cry of all CP growers!  
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chloroplast @ Dec. 14 2005,12:51)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Im gona be rigging up a diffrent germinating tank as this one is to small and i need MORE ROOM!!

MORE ROOM!!!...the eternal cry of all CP growers!  
smile.gif
smile.gif
See i got a advantage i have a older daughter who has lots spare tanks i need she can swap me something i have for something i want.. LOL!! 40gal tall for a 40gal long, hehehehehe that 40gal long should do just nicely for all my starter pots.  
smile_m_32.gif
Hey i even got me a extra shop light and 2 clamp lamps to boot, things are looking up nicely..
smile_n_32.gif

smile_l_32.gif
Ok guys what do i do now, my rotundifolia seems to be not growing anymore and the bottom leafs/pads are now turnning icky color with no dew on them anymore it seems to have a mass in the middle, maybe telling me it wants to go dorment?? If so what should i do, cut bottom leafs/pads off and then place it in the window where theres a cold draft?? Should i cover pot with bag or leave it open? Also should i keep the pot in water or should i go ahead and let it somewhat dry?? It gets very cold in the window.. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr hopefully that will be a ok place for it while its sleeping.. Any input is greatly apreciated!!
Thanks!!!
smile_m_32.gif
smile.gif

smile_l_32.gif
BUMP

Ok i have trimed any dying leafs/pads off it and also made sure it was moist and then put a bag over the pot and sat it in the window for dormancy, it is deffinately cold enough there. Now my question is should i leave the bag on the pot or take it off for cold air circulation?? I also trimmed 3 leafs/pads with the stem and used them for started cuttings.

The CP Mafia sez: Git ridda de bag, or face da consequences!!!

smile.gif
Yezzzzzzzzzz boss, bag GONE!!!
smile_m_32.gif

Thanks Bugweed...
smile_m_32.gif
Much apreciated..
smilie4.gif

Da Boss sez, "Good goin'!" Wouldn't want that poor thing gettin' moldy. One other way is submersion in ice cold water for three months. Put it in warm conditions close to spring, and it'll come up. Mold won't/can't grow underwater that's cold. At least not that I have ever seen or am aware of. (Correct me if I am wrong, but submersion has always worked for me with most of my CP.) No rot, no molds.

Back