Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: sundew photo gallery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could it be the soil... maybe they dont like my peat... what ones you guys use?
    It is hard to always be a human being... people get in the way.

An education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
    - Terry Pratchett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Dimka @ Dec. 16 2005,11:37)]Could it be the soil... maybe they dont like my peat... what ones you guys use?
    Well,if you buy small bags of peat moss, that might be the problem. What name brand do you use?
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its scotts I think... I wanted to get canadian, but its sold in HUGE packs which I can't store anywhere...

An education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
    - Terry Pratchett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had some issues with Scotts brand peat recently... (and the bag even says "Canadian peat")

It looks like a good quality peat to my eyes, but I have discovered that the peat is high in dissolved solids! I did wash the peat before using it, apparently I did not wash it well enough:

A number of my plants (u. calcyfida, d. burmannii, etc) which were potted in undrained containers really seemed to be suffering from poor health. Other clones in the same conditions, but planted in drained containers, were doing very well.

I decided to purchase a TDS meter and some pH paper. I wanted to test the quality of the peat as I couldn't think of anything else that would be causing the poor growth...

Taking a handful of peat from one of the undrained pots, I squeezed out some water and discovered that it was at about 300ppm! I believe that most CP's will only tolerate dissolved solids in the range of ~150ppm or less.

I am still a newbie in my opinion and this was a valuable lesson to me. Now, I allow my peat to sit in a bowl of distilled water overnight. The next day I squeeze out as much of the water as possible, then rinse and repeat. Now I see TDS readings in the 20-50ppm range.

All of my plants that were suffering are now thriving in the newly rinsed mix, same pots, same conditions, same plants... food for thought?

I see that you mention your p esserania is doing well(?) This is a mexican ping and I suspect that it might not be as sensitive to dissolved salts? (It might even prefer a little calcium in the soil!)

I'd like to hear more about your growing conditions as this sounds like a good mystery to me! (maybe we should start a new thread?) If you have a potted terrarium; have you ever changed the water in your trays, etc?

- Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm.... interesting... Maybe I'll try this, when I have free time... monday maybe...
    But actually now that I think about it... my plants don't seem to be suffering from any illness, they are just pale and dewless... other than that they seem to grow quite nicely. Adelae unroll a new leaf every 2-3 days, nidiformis is produsing leafs quite nicely actually... better than before, binatas are doing well too (just seem to lose coloration) and intermedias are growing better than in pure LFS... I think the problem is radiation...
    The light itself conducts heat, thus causing dew to evaporate... I'll keep experimenting, we'll see what happens in a week or so. I installed a mini fan in my light fixture, so that should take care of the heat (already showing results - fixture is not hot as hell), but then again I might try some extra watering... when I was making the terrarium, I put about an inch of perlite in the bottom for drainage... so maybe I should just sprinkle a few gallons to drain the whole thing...
    Thanks for help [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

- Terry Pratchett

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mobius: All I can say is Great Job with the media!

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (m0bius @ Dec. 16 2005,4:34)]I have had some issues with Scotts brand peat recently... (and the bag even says "Canadian peat")

It looks like a good quality peat to my eyes,..........
    When I first started growing CPs, Scotts was my brand of choice. I could use it straight out of the bag with no problem. A couple years ago though, I notice a decline in quality of their product. Namely, I had several bags that were contaminated with a yellow mold which had a strong moldy/musty smell. They were contaminated in this manner straight off the store shelf. Last year, I tried washing their peat before using it. That's when I discoverd time release fertilizer pellets and those moisture retaining thingies in my peat. There were only a few (compared to regular potting mix), which leads me to think that they were contaminents on the equipment which Scott's used to process their houseplant potting mixes as well as their peat moss. And, like you found, one thorough rinse wasn't enough to get all the fertilizer out. I lost a lot of plants this summer due to these contaminents before I realized what the problem was.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeing all this bad talk about Scott's brand peat is making me nervous. I use it for all of my plants, but I've yet to see any bad effects. Maybe I'm ok...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast