What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sundew photo gallery

Many of my plants are planted in the Scott's brand peat and they seem pretty happy now...

The lesson I learned was that I always wash what ever media I am using before potting. I think that in addition an overnight soak (at least) lets the harder to disolve stuff get out of the mix, so to speak.

I imagine that if plants are in a drained container, after a few waterings most everything is washed out. That is unless you have some kind of 'contamination' in the mix (fertilizer pellets, whatever) - but that's another story.

2c.

- Mike

I was also wondering if spring water is suitable for use... sodium free one. its just way easier to get that one than RO or distilled...

you mean bottled water... i use it on occasion. works well

Use what you have and let us know.

Personally, I wouldn't use spring water... It all boils down to the content of the water. "Spring water" is generally water bottled from a 'spring' or natural water source - these types of sources almost always provide a large amount of dissolved solids. That water was probably underground for hundreds of years before getting put in a bottle (soaking up minerals along the way).

A quick & dirty survey of various spring water vendors show TDS content ranging from 40ppm to over 500ppm! As always, YMMV. I dropped ~$30 on a TDS meter for this very reason.

If in doubt... doubt.

So let's see some sundew photos!

- Mike

PS: Ask a water distributor what they think constitutes "spring water" - you might be surprised to find out that it could be from a faucet in a factory in Pasadena!

"Oh! You didn't ask if it was natural spring water?" [/rant]

smile_l_32.gif

I used to use Scotts and I had to rebuild pretty much my entire collection after using it. I threw the bag away and bought like a 50 pound bag Southland Canadian Peat Moss. I have had no trouble with this peat. It's also very cheap! It was like 4 dollars for a 50 pound bag!

Yes, thats what I was gonna buy...
I think I will now.
Thanks

I use Sothland peat when I can find it. That or Sunshine Canadian Peat Moss. I would never use Scotts if I could help it. Always had trouble with their peat. Personally, I think sedge peat is mixed in with the sphagnum peat, which can make the soil base toxic to some CP. The stuff at Lowe's, and the brand Home Depot sells here, killed several sarracenia of mine, and ravaged the D. spatulata "Kanto form" I USED to have. The peat was loaded with fungus.

What about Shultz peatmoss says in bold words on the bag Canadian spag., has anyone had any bad experiances with that brand?? Nothing around me has anything decent to use other than Shultz or Scotts, so for now im gona stick with Shultz till i can find a better source.

Back