Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: D. capillaris question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone could tell me or post a pic of what capillaris [Edit: spelling: Drosera capillaris] seedling looks like?
    I found 2 tiny green plantlets last night, on the spot where I had sown 5 capillaris [Edit: spelling: Drosera capillaris] seeds one month previous. Almost wet myself with excitement, but not sure if those are capillaris [Edit: spelling: Drosera capillaris] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Please advise, thanks.

It is hard to always be a human being... people get in the way.

An education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
    - Terry Pratchett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No chance of a pic with my current camera, I could probably get a pic after X-mas.. But, I believe they are monocots meaning after the seed leaves, one leaf will form. They are so small I couldn't see the seed leaves. Mine, have a tiny stem and then one leaf that branches off, it's not long and skinny like adult plants, but instead has more of a round leaf tip, looks kinda like a intermedia [Edit: spelling: Drosera intermedia]. Lemme go browse through my pics and see if any managed to catch one good enough.

\"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It super blurry, but you can make out the shape, this seedling is already a few weeks old tho.
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They'r gonna look like just about every other Drosera seedling - a tiny green stem, with very tiny tentacles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm I took a closer look with a magnifying glass and it actually looks like sphagnum [Edit: spelling: Sphagnum, genus names are always written with an initial capital letter.]! lol yeah not what I wanted, but at least another good thing to have [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

An education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
    - Terry Pratchett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, what jimscott said. Most Drosera seedlings look pretty much alike. It isn't until they begin to mature that they take on the characteristics of their respective species or hybrid origins.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've noticed most tend to look like rosetted-sub tropicals (D. spatulata, for example) for a while, but then like Pinguiculaman said, they begin to look like the adults. My young D. capensis looked like a small D. spatulata until just recently, since it's leaves are now growing longer into the more familiar D. capensis leaf-shape.

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, now Im totally confused because I compared those 2 little plantlets with my little sphagnim [Edit: spelling: Sphagnum, genus names are always written with an initial capital letter.] ones... and they are not the same thing... so maybe it is capillaris [Edit: spelling: Drosera capillaris] after all!!!
    hehehe

- Terry Pratchett

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast