Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama *Barracuda_45*'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Dec. 21 2005,4:39)]
    Quote[/b] ]So when are more people going to start growing these plants??!!
    When I can find one!
    Ya me to LLeopardGGecko, where can we get these dews, that pink is just stunning.. I like how round the pads are they remind me of little sticky suction cups..
    Hey buddy wana run, LETS GO!
    Northern Michigan All Car Drag Team *PRESIDENT*
    Red Hot Cherry's "NEW" PB 8.741 GO CHERRY! & "5" 1st place trophy wins 9 sec class.
    www.nmacdt.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Dec. 21 2005,4:39)]
    Quote[/b] ]So when are more people going to start growing these plants??!!
    When I can find one!
    The issue isn't when you can find one, the issue is whether you have a setup to make the plant happy (and therefore let it thrive).

Many people see a D. falconeri in photos and expend huge effort to get one. They succeed and then have a dead/dying plant in a few months. (This is very similar to all the impulse pet purchases - birds, herps, etc). People do no research, make no investments in the right equipment and wonder why bad things happen.....

From what I've seen, successful growers of this group are very generous with spare plants - often giving plants to others. If you were a successful grower, who would you give plants to?
    - a novice with excitement (& no setup)?
    - someone who has done the research and invested in a setup to keep the plants happy?

I would love to help people get started with these plants. I've been on a mini-crusade to raise awareness of this group's tremendous beauty & diversity. I've had to temporarily stop dividing plants because I've run out of room - I have at least 4 plants with 2 or 3 growth points that I can't divide right now..... but I'm not willing to send plants to almost certain death....
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RL7836,

Great looking plants! This summer I'm hoping to set a terrarium for Petiolaris-complex sundews. I have a question: Has anyone tried growing these sundews in a mix with laterite? I found a box of laterite at a local pet store that sells aquatic plants. It's the real stuff...imported from Australia. I want to try a 50:50 mix laterite and sand.

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a long thread here some time back about the laterite. Here it is. There are a few others, just type "laterite" into the search field.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Pyro @ Dec. 21 2005,1:09)]There was a long thread here some time back about the laterite. Here it is. There are a few others, just type "laterite" into the search field.
    Pyro,
    You didn't quote the thread where you mention your own homemade laterite...

The last post in that thread (from Tamlin) mentions:
    Quote[/b] ] Often plants will go dormant when received, and it is then touch and go: for me, they have usually gone, so I am not the one to ask regarding emergency measures.
    I have had this happen twice to me - both times with plants from the same grower... The 1st time I lost a small D. ordensis. I kept it humid and warm and watched it slowly deteriorate ... and die...

The 2nd time, I received several plants, all very healthy. Here's one of them (a D. broomensis - as I received it):

The plants had very little shipping stress but started to deteriorate. Everything I did - didn't help.... I asked the maestro (Forbes) and he said he would also do what I'd done - but the next day he sent another email recommending a possible option - let them dry out and go dormant (if that's what they want). It really didn't feel right - take a plant that's dying and remove most of the moisture while keeping it under strong lights and decent heat.... . Well, that's what I did and the 'rotting' that was creeping over the leaves stopped and the plants formed a bud similar to a D. rotundifolia hibernacula. Several weeks went by (maybe longer) and some of the D. broomensis leaves started to open. I proceeded to give it regular water amounts and stuck it under a humidity dome. It has continued to sprout new leaves and look 'alive'. This process has now happened with another D. broomensis and a D. derbyensis - so far with apparently good results. There's another larger D. derbyensis that hasn't shown any inclination to sprout leaves so I'm keeping it in a reduced water regime for now. Here's a current pic of it:

I definitely don't feel like I'm out of the woods yet with these guys but at least it appears I'm heading in the right general direction.... They keep trying to teach me, hopefully I can keep learning....
    All the best,
    Ron

(with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Updated pic showing how fast these guys can grow. These plants are from the 1st 3 pics on page 1 of this post. I combined the plants from the 1st 2 pics in the pot on the left. The pot on the right has't been touched. Since I really don't have the room to pot these up separately, they haven't been getting fed much...

When the weather warms up, there's going to be a bunch of plants to trade...
    All the best,
    Ron

(with Pics)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow, you have got some really amazing plants there. I must admit that this is the first time I've seen D. derbyensis, even in picture; you really caught me off guard with that one! Keep up the good work!
    ¯\(º_o)/¯ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

drosera guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow you have great skill in growing these. My plants look weak in comparision...keep it up!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast