What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Petiolaris-complex dews

Some photos of recent babies from cuttings & seed....

Here are cuttings from a large D. paradoxa plant (top right plant in the bottom layout photo). The stems are still attached (not for long).
DparadoxaRWcuttingsRS.jpg

A cutting from a plant I received in a trade labelled as D. petiolaris. It may be D. dilatato-petiolaris. (Middle plant on right side in layout photo)
DpetiolarisMWcuttingRS.jpg

Cuttings from a 'real' D. petiolaris. The stems have been removed. (These are from the plant in top left corner in layout photo).
DpetiolarisFCcuttingsRS.jpg

Some D. paradoxa seedlings from a cross from this summer. I wanted to test this seed for germination and got almost 100%. The parents of these seedlings are the plant in the top right corner of the layout and the smaller plant below and to the left. (Some of this seed was just sent to ICPS seedbank)
DparadoxaseedlingsRWxFCRS.jpg

Layout of one of my glabrous petiolaris tanks (bottom right is D. sessilifolia (not pet-complex)):
TankoverviewRS.jpg

smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
I need to set up my warm tank!

Thanks so much for sharing RL!

Cheers
Amori

Loved that smorgasbord of Petiolaris!

WOW ! Those are really nice. I like the D. sessilifolia in there for a comparison of size. I've got to set up a warm tank too ! Thanks for sharing they are way cool !

Outstanding pictures! Well done.
smile.gif

Wow, just amazing
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Great growing RL
smile.gif

I REALLY have to get a Petiolaris-complex sundew! Just one! Hahahaha!

Great setup and superb plants.

Cheers,
Jan

Great job. Very good-looking plants.

Wow just stunning, they all look very beautiful and that last pic is just AWSOME!! All that beautiful pink...
smile_m_32.gif
Very nice plants RL..
smile.gif

Great plants. Especially the kenneallyi and xLadle.

Thanks for all the kind replies.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Great plants. Especially the kenneallyi and xLadle.

The D. kenneallyi with the uneven-length leaves (just up & to the left of the D. sessilifolia) started to shrink dramatically not long after this photo was taken. I started to get nervous that it was deteriorating or going dormant - either way, I had no back-ups of the plant - so I figured I'd repot, see what it looked like below the surface (& take some leaf-pullings).

Surprisingly, it had the most massive root system of any petiolaris dew I've grown. It was a spider's web of roots and the bottom was filled with roots circling the pot. It was growing in a 2.5" pot and I ended up putting it back in a 4" pot! In addition to the roots, it had a very firm 1/2" bulb where the leaves originated. Lowrie's book says this is like a VFT but it really looked a lot more like a lillium bulb (real bulb - not just where leaves start). Based on what I found, it's pretty obvious that the plant was heading into a healthy dormancy. Now that I've disrupted it - I'll have to wait and see what happens - new growth or dormancy....
confused.gif

.... and a closer view of the 'ladle'...
Dladle102205RS.jpg

(the light-colored shoot in the center was it's 3rd flower stalk of the season).

So when are more people going to start growing these plants??!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Hey, personally, I'd love to. I only have paradoxa and an extremely beautiful, recently acquired ordensis, and a bunch of year-old seed. My previous attempt to germinate them failed, most possibly due to unfavourable substrate. Better buy some more seeds, seeing as it seems they're easier than reputed!

Cheers
Amori

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Better buy some more seeds, seeing as it seems they're easier than reputed!

I'm not sure they're easier than reputed but as more people grow them (and share what they learn), we're bound to make growing them simpler than it used to be...
smile_n_32.gif

Indeed, "easier" isn't the word to use. Less complicated.
smile_m_32.gif

Cheers
Amori

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Dec. 21 2005,4:39)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So when are more people going to start growing these plants??!!  

When I can find one!
smile.gif
Ya me to LLeopardGGecko, where can we get these dews, that pink is just stunning..
smile_m_32.gif
I like how round the pads are they remind me of little sticky suction cups..
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Dec. 21 2005,4:39)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So when are more people going to start growing these plants??!!

When I can find one!
The issue isn't when you can find one, the issue is whether you have a setup to make the plant happy (and therefore let it thrive).

Many people see a D. falconeri in photos and expend huge effort to get one. They succeed and then have a dead/dying plant in a few months. (This is very similar to all the impulse pet purchases - birds, herps, etc). People do no research, make no investments in the right equipment and wonder why bad things happen.....
confused.gif
smile_l_32.gif

From what I've seen, successful growers of this group are very generous with spare plants - often giving plants to others. If you were a successful grower, who would you give plants to?
- a novice with excitement (& no setup)?
- someone who has done the research and invested in a setup to keep the plants happy?

I would love to help people get started with these plants. I've been on a mini-crusade to raise awareness of this group's tremendous beauty & diversity. I've had to temporarily stop dividing plants because I've run out of room - I have at least 4 plants with 2 or 3 growth points that I can't divide right now..... but I'm not willing to send plants to almost certain death....
mad.gif

RL7836,

Great looking plants! This summer I'm hoping to set a terrarium for Petiolaris-complex sundews. I have a question: Has anyone tried growing these sundews in a mix with laterite? I found a box of laterite at a local pet store that sells aquatic plants. It's the real stuff...imported from Australia. I want to try a 50:50 mix laterite and sand.

Brian

There was a long thread here some time back about the laterite. Here it is. There are a few others, just type "laterite" into the search field.

Back