What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What variety is this little guy?

About a year ago, I got some seeds from BobZ, and he included D. capensis 'Alba' seeds. When I planted them, some appeared to be 'Alba', while others, as you can see in the pics, were not. Could they be 'Broad Leaf'?

baby3.jpg

baby1.jpg

baby2.jpg

-Ben

smile.gif
Hi Drosera36, although i havent had the opertunity to grow or own all the diffrent varietys of Capensis those are some very beautiful babies you have there and i have LOTS baby capensis red that look like that even though they are tiny pin dots at this time. But i can't tell you exactly what type that is since im so new to this. Im sure theres lots people here that can help you identify which variety this may be. Awsome pics you took and very pretty baby dews..
smile_m_32.gif
smile.gif
Thanks tons for sharring with us...
smilie4.gif

i dont think they are albino, could be an accidental cross with albino and the typical form. i grow mine side by side and it would be easy enough for a bug to do a cross pollenation on a couple flowers. Bob is pretty meticulus on his labeling so that would me my guess as to what happened

Hi Ben. Interesting. The seeds that I sent to you in August 04 indeed came from a scape from a D. 'Albino' plant. My D. capensis plants all grow everywhere like weeds and I have never messed around with them. I call the ones with no coloration and white flowers D. 'Albino' because it fits the cultivar description. I have never tested the seed from these plants to determine whether all seed result in white flowered plants. That would be an interesting experiment, which is perhaps what you are observing.

I do not know how common cross pollination is in capensis plants. I do know that they are self-fertile -- completely isolated single plants produce viable seed without any intervention.

In November 04, Rose (Copper) sent me a plant from a D. capensis ‘Albino’ x typical breeding that she did. Copper wrote that some of her plants have pink flowers, intermediate between 'Albino' and typical. I still have that plant and it looks identical to a D. 'Albino' (white flowers and no red coloration anywhere).

Kinda looks like D. Intermedia to me. D. Capensis leaves usually are more rectangularish.

baby4.jpg

All baby Drosera in my experience look nothing like the adults. So, I am sure it is not D. intermedia.

-Ben

That's D. capensis alright. D. intermedia has rounder leaves on longer, thinner petioles (at least the form I grow). Looking good Drosera36! And very nice camera work there!

Cheers
Amori

Thanks for all the compliments, guys. BobZ, I suppose we'll just have to wait til it flowers to see what it is. And, how would I go about transplanting this little guy?

-Ben

I have found the D. capensis seedlings don't mind being moved that much. I take a jewlers screwdriver (real small screw driver) and dig up the seedling with that. Not saying that is the only tool that will work, just what I had handy at the time. I try to get a clump of soil with the plantlet and put it were I want. I have also been covering them with a clear plastic cup just to provide alittle extra humidity right after the transplant, don't really think it's needed, but it hasn't hurt any either.

I should mention the seedlings I moved were much smaller then those you have pictured. A teacher wanted a couple, but they only had their first 2 leaves formed.

The one in the upper right is close to the size of yours, and the other little guys are the size of the ones I gave to the teacher, I checked on them the next week after I gave them to her and they were still alive.

Yeah, those 'Alba' look much different from mine.

-Ben

It looks like some of my small seedlings have red hairs too, and I have not had any other D. capensis flower but the D. capensis 'Alba'. But they could also be D. spatulata or D.capillaris. I'll have to wait until they get bigger before I can see what they are.

I've noticed (back when I actually had the alba variety) that when they produced seeds, not all of them retained the alba characteristic. Many seedlings reverted back to typical (even though I KNOW there was no cross pollination).

As for moving/replanting seedlings....They don't mind. Heck, you can YANK them out, SQUISH them in wet paper towel, have the package get lost in the mail for 5 or 10 days....and most of them STILL recover.

I had a capensis sprout in my compost heap in 98% darkness and almost bone dry (must have gotten a root in there at some point).

They're like roaches....

Drosera36's seedlings are probably hybridised, perhaps with D. capensis 'Broad Leaf' or something, observing the shape of the laminae, although they are still young.

The plant Copper has sent to Dr Ziemer is seemingly not a hybrid but a result of self pollination, although her pink-flowered clones must be successfully hybridised.

Oh, and in most cases, cross pollination is done by insects.

Here is what a D. capensis 'Alba' or 'Albino' looks like:

Drosera_capensis.sized.jpg

Well, my little guy's new leaves are getting narrower and narrower, and the newest unfolding leaf seems really narrow, so we'll just have to see what it looks like then. But I do have another question: Does it matter how old peat is for dews? I mean, the peat in my little guys pot has been in there for over a year, and it seems pretty firm, and looks as though it has compacted together, so you no longer can tell what the soil ingredients were. My baby dews seem to enjoy this soil, and the pot is at least 3 inches deep, so is it necessary to repot them?

-Ben

most young capensis, atleast from what ive seen, look like a broad leaf form but it doesnt take long for them to get past that if they arent. most on my "typical form coming up from roots in one of my pots look like lil broadleaf's but that will change in a few weeks

I would not say that your D. capensis 'Alba' is definately crossed with 'Broad Leaf', but it is possible. Hybridised plants can have 2 or more ways of appearance. Here my D. capensis 'Broad Leaf' and 'Giant, 60 Cm Tall' adapts the shape of itself to the environment in which it grows, when it resembles either of its parents.

Back