What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gemmae

This may be a dumb question but I'm assuming that when gemmae turn black that means they're dead. I received some D. ericksonae x pulchella gemmae along with some others in the mail and placed them in my terrarium. All were green when I set them on their media. The next day the D. ericksonae x pulchella gemmae were black. I cut one in half and viewed it under a micrscope and it was green inside just black on the outside. Perhaps I'll do better another time. I now mourn their loss.

Chris

Sounds like they are goners to me. As is fairly typical of most plants, green=good, black=bad. Better luck next year.

Steve

They're probably gonners, but if I were you, I'd let them sit for a little while, just in case a stray gemmae decides it's too young to die. Good luck, either way.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Est @ Dec. 28 2005,6:52)]They're probably gonners, but if I were you, I'd let them sit for a little while, just in case a stray gemmae decides it's too young to die.  Good luck, either way.
I agree with Est, might wana give um a chance befour really thinking there gone..
smile_l_32.gif

cman, I have had gemmae turn black on the outside and still sprout. Please do not throw the baby out with the bathwater until 2 to 3 weeks have gone by. They might suprise you. And then again, they might not. But always give them some time to show you anything. I like suprises.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm gonna give them a chance and see if something will happen. Thanks!

Chris

[b said:
Quote[/b] (cstriker @ Dec. 28 2005,8:58)] I'm gonna give them a chance and see if something will happen.  Thanks!

Chris
Thats good cstriker,

Tracey runs and rubs buddahs belly wishing for your gemmae to sprout, lights a candle and crosses fingers and toes hoping your gemmae grow soon.. I wish you luck..
smile_m_32.gif

Right-On, Tracey!! And I will rub my bald spot for luck too! Between the bald spot and the Buddah Belly, he can't lose!

Oh you guys are great! Lets hope these little guys have a chance. It'll take a miracle.

Chris

Back