What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pic of D. scorpiodes baby

Today, I decided to take a pic of one of my little scorp babies. This one is the largest that I have growing currently:

scorp2.jpg

-Ben

Cute little guy! I'm still waiting for mine to produce gammae (they're over a year old....what going on here?!?)

Great camera work!

I think that you need to decrease the # of hours that you give it light, which would trigger its gemmae making. But I'm not really sure. Oh, and thanks for the compliment 'bout the little guy. I can't wait til he gets bigger!

-Ben

Great looking little dew, Ben! Seems to be growing great for you.

Awwwwwwwww aint that a cute baby dew..
smile_m_32.gif
My D. scorpiodes gemmae are just now starting to grow i cant wait till they get larger.

oh mine are only begining to peek out to the world

Hehehe, very cool shot. Cute little bugger.
smile.gif

I'll post pics of him when he's a bit bigger.

-Ben

mine looks similar to that
smile.gif

just the "branches" are all pointing straight up and not sideways... not yet
smile.gif

How long does it usually take the gemmae to start growing? Mine were sown about a week ago. I know that's too soon, but I'm impatient.  
smile_n_32.gif

I'm ready for full-grown plants and some gemmae production of my own!! (I know I have quite a wait, but a fella can dream, can't he?)

Jason

I also sown mine about a week ago and they at least trippled-quadrupled in size since then... so I dunno really... few months I'm guessing

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dimka @ Dec. 29 2005,12:31)]I also sown mine about a week ago and they at least trippled-quadrupled in size since then... so I dunno really... few months I'm guessing
These little guys definitely grow fast! I'm sure they'll be full size in no time
smile.gif

Well, here's an updated pic of the little guy:

scorp5.jpg

It seems to already be developing a tiny stem.

-Ben

What is that white hair thing around sundews, and what is it used for?

I forget what it's called, but I know some cacti have that kinda stuff all over them (hence the name 'old man's beard cactus'), and I think that they use it as a sorta 'sun protection'. In the case of the pygmy sundews, I would assume that since they live in a hot dessert, they grow that hair stuff up around the new growth to protect it from the hot sun.

-Ben

Here is my little baby.

DSC00440.jpg

DSC00441.jpg

Chris

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PiranhaPlant @ Jan. 03 2006,8:01)]What is that white hair thing around sundews, and what is it used for?
"During the long hot summer their leaves die but the leaf stipules remain as a shiny white bundle of hairs or bristles at the rosette center. This reflective bundle presumably keeps the plant cool."

--http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq5250.html

I notied the same hair with D. spatulata

Back