What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.peltata seedling

Today, I was checking on my D.scorpiodes gemmae which have developed
smile.gif
. Well anyway, I saw at least 10 drosera seedlings, at first I thought it was just D.rotundila seedlings, but I had one grew two months ago and it klooks nothing like thse seedlings. I have no pics of the plant, so the only thing I can is describe them. The leaves are round and has red tentacles. It doesn't look like a normal sundew seedling. Is this D.peltata? It was the only seed I recently sowed and none of my other sundew have flowered, but then again it could be something else?

Ok, here is a little trick for you.
You put the seeds of one type in 1 pot, then the seeds of another type in a seperate pot. Then label them. No don't try labeling each seed, label the entire pot.

After you see something that has germinated, carefully look at the label, then rip it off the pot, because you really know its just more D. capensis.
smile_n_32.gif

smile.gif
Well if someone here had a pic of a baby D.peltata then you could look at it and see if it looks the same. I just put D.peltata seeds into cold startification the other day, they come out in 4 wks and go into a warm chamber to germinate if and when they do. If the do i will be sure to post pics of one. But thats a ways down the road..
smile_l_32.gif

Drosera peltata seed should not be stratified, nor should it be germinated in a warm environment. Ideally it should be sown in early autumn and will germinate when the nights and days are cool.

I had the seeds stored in the fridge for a long time before sowing them. They were dry, and I sowed them in December, so they never got a warm stratification.

I have a D. peltata starting to emerge. I'll send some pics in a few weeks.

Chris

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Seandew @ Dec. 29 2005,12:34)]Drosera peltata seed should not be stratified, nor should it be germinated in a warm environment. Ideally it should be sown in early autumn and will germinate when the nights and days are cool.
OH NO i guess i better run and get them back outa the fridge then and put them in a regular growing chamber.. CRAP i could have sworn i read they needed a cold stratification..
smile_l_32.gif
smile_h_32.gif
smile_h_32.gif

I'm going to agree with Gawd: It's D. capensis . Hahahahahahaha!

You just wait and see, it's going to be a D.peltata.
smile_n_32.gif

Hey, maybe you get real lucky and come up with a stray Drosophyllum! Not!
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]CRAP i could have sworn i read they needed a cold stratification..

You may have confused them with D.stenopetala which do require stratification.

Just in case, they are D.peltata seedlings. How do I take care of them? They are growing a bit fast, they are just now making their 2nd leave. When do they go dormant. Do I need to put them in a shaded place during dormancy or can they be in the sun and do I keep them bone dry or just barely damp?

They go into dormancy in the summer and return in the fall - so I have read.

Back