What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Dew

glider14

Always a newbie
Hello,
My Adelae and Capensis are strangly not producing dew. Their conditions are above 70% Humididty and about 65-70 degrees. Are leaves produced with dew or can they "make" it without a new leaf?

they can make it... although I noticed if adelea lost its dew, it probably won't come back on that leaf... maybe its the amount of light?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Jan. 01 2006,2:04)]Hello,
My Adelae and Capensis are strangly not producing dew. Their conditions are above 70% Humididty and about 65-70 degrees. Are leaves produced with dew or can they "make" it without a new leaf?
How much light are the receiving? To little light can result in the loss of dew. Also, have they been recently transplanted,shipped,etc.? If you have recently acquired them,it might take about 3-4 new leafs to begin producing dew. If the older leaves have not yet produced dew,they most likely won't. The temp and humidity sounds fine for both them,especially D.adelae,which does best in cooler conditions IME.

Dew production is essentially a function of adequate lighting. Where do you keep the plants? What kind of lighting are you using?

I've read a few times of people having the same problem. I was one of them. Some say that adelae can spontaneously lose it's dew for no apparent reason. With time it comes back. Whether this is true or not, I don't know. I had a mature adelae that lost all it's dew and eventually died. A week later new plantlets sprang up all over the place and are doing fine covered in tons of dew. Good luck!

Chris

With D. adelae, that's a different phenomenon - the "playing 'possum" thing.

Tetranychidae -- Plant parasitic spider mites. Whenever I experience a plant that suddenly begins to decline, I always look for mites and usually find them. I still haven't found a solution that I can endorse completely, but I am still open for suggestions. For me cinnamon oil helps a lot, but doesn't do the job 100%.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How much light are the receiving? To little light can result in the loss of dew. Also, have they been recently transplanted,shipped,etc.?
yes they were just shipped to me but they had plastic cups over them and i saw no dew in it so i dont know... i have a 50 watt grow light about 12 hours so it couldnt be that.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]With D. adelae, that's a different phenomenon - the "playing 'possum" thing.
intresting...
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Tetranychidae -- Plant parasitic spider mites
i doubt it when it arrived i sprayed all of my plants with pesticide/fungucide/mitecide so yes....

i guess ill just have to wait and see
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]yes they were just shipped to me but they had plastic cups over them and i saw no dew in it so i dont know... i have a 50 watt grow light about 12 hours so it couldnt be that.
The shock of shipping can cause them to dry up, normally you will need to wait for new leaves to grow..
If the light is to far away that could still be a problem.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
With D. adelae, that's a different phenomenon - the "playing 'possum" thing.

intresting...
confused.gif
And they can play possum for a long time. I just had mine produce it's first leaf in 8 months. I found the hard (easy) way that this plant doesn't like full sun, yet it's now starting to make new leaves under my lights, odd cause the lights are coloring up everything else more then the sun did...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i doubt it when it arrived i sprayed all of my plants with pesticide/fungucide/mitecide so yes....

Whatever you sprayed them with could also be the problem.

A CP source in California has informed me of adelae's sensitivitiy to chemicals whether they be pesticides, fungicides, etc. Perhaps you should flush the pot with plenty of RO water and then wait. Hopefully with time it will come back.

Chris

I have no doubt at all that the chemical bath robbed you of your dew. Flush the pot once, put it in a water tray, leave it alone, give it lots of light, and wait. Chemicals can often times affect drosera in this way. Good to use the chems for protection, but expect adverse effects from time to time. Sometimes, they will kill your plants. Be careful.

My adelae did the same thing. In fact the older leaves have lots of dew, but the leaves right above it have none. Then the newest leaves produce lots of dew. It looks kinda wierd, anyway I only have one 30w cf above it and it stays nice and red. Good luck with yours.

-Rail

yes, IME adelae is extremely sensitive to chemicals. i can't touch it with anything and it will only grow in pure LFS (i use live). very sensitive to water aswell.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Jan. 02 2006,2:13)]yes, IME adelae is extremely sensitive to chemicals. i can't touch it with anything and it will only grow in pure LFS (i use live). very sensitive to water aswell.
That's funny, mine will only grow in pure peat moss, and it won't do anything in live or dead lfs. I,too,can only water it with distilled or RO water as it is very sensitive to minerals and chemicals in water IME.

hmmm well i did "wash" it with distilled water. I knew that they were sensetive to fertilizers but I wasnt sure about the other things so I did anyways. I looked at the new still rolled up leaves cloesly and i notices strands of somthing on them. here are some pics of both of them...
DSC01029.jpg

DSC01028.jpg

If those pictures are taken under your grow lights, it's not enough light.

no they arnt thats my desk light(for school work
biggrin.gif
) it was hard to take a good pic inside my terrarium

I had a D. adelae with aphids last summer and I simply drowned them for a few days. The aphids never came back and the plant recovered. As of this weekend, this plant is sending up a flower stalk.

Ok update the capensis is doing fabulous with 2 new leaves with...you guessed it DEW. Im so happy. but the adelae is a different story...No growth whatsoever and the little strands of somthing are still on there!! I have an idea on what the strands are though. they could be from mites(you know their little webs). what is the best way to get rid of them without using a pesticide?
thanks
Glider

EDIT: Oh ya and i am tring to bud some leaves from both of them *crosses fingers* i hope it works!!
EDIT EDIT: could the drowning thing work for it?

also i did some research and it definantly isnt normal here are some pics now...
capensis
DSC01039.jpg

adelae (its hard to see the threads)
DSC01043.jpg

DSC01044.jpg

Back