What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Accidental Drosophyllum seedling

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
A few months ago a renegade Drosophyllum seed from Elgecko's collection appeared in one of my pots. At first I wasn't sure what it was or how it got there, but eventually it was determined that it was in fact a Drosphyllum seedling that basically dropped in my lap, so to speak.

A shortwhile later I carefully and successfully repotted it to a 6" plastic drinking glass. We moved to the Buffalo area and I transported it (and the rest of the collection) via the largest cooler Kmart had. It survived that move just fine. Then I was told that it really ought to be in a deeper container. So I cut out the top of a 3-liter soda bottle and attempted to cut the bottom of the drinking glass, so I could fit it atop of the pop bottle. But the drinking glass cracked vertically and I had to extricate the seedling and contents. As I was attempting to move plant and media as one unit, the bottom half of the media gave way. Incredibly, the roots weren't exposed and I got it into the soda bottle - and sweated the next 24 hours. Fortunately, the leaves remained erect and dewy.

Basically, I am asking whether the 12" of depth provided by the pop bottle is sufficient

Also, people talk as if this plant could flower this summer. Is that a possibility?

I've been watering from the bottom / side, every few days. Is that correct.

The media is peat, sand, and perlite. Should I add LFS, live or otherwise?

I'm not sure, but most people seem to grow theirs in a terra-cotta clay pot, since these guys like just barely damp medium.

-Ben

Scott,
You seem to have the worst luck. Hanging baskets crashing, pots off ledges, Drosophyllum trying to jump out of its media.... when is it going to end! LOL
A 12" depth should be plenty good for the plant.
I do not think your plant will flower this year. Mine will hit 2 years early this year, and has not flowered yet for me, but maybe I'm just not lucky.
I water mine from the top, in fact I water all my plants from the top.

It is possible to have Drosophyllum flower in under two years. All of the plants I grew from seeds flowered at around 1.5 years old. I top water my plants and allow the water to drain from the pot.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ Jan. 04 2006,8:39)]Scott,
You seem to have the worst luck. Hanging baskets crashing, pots off ledges, Drosophyllum trying to jump out of its media.... when is it going to end! LOL
I do not think your plant will flower this year. Mine will hit 2 years early this year, and has not flowered yet for me, but maybe I'm just not lucky.
Don't forget cobra lily's in the stream....
smile_n_32.gif

LOL, guys! Okay, 12" is adequate and top watering works. It is on leaf #9 or thereabouts, so I guess dampoff is fairly safe?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dewy @ Jan. 05 2006,5:18)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ Jan. 04 2006,8:39)]Scott,
Don't forget cobra lily's in the stream....
smile_n_32.gif
How the heck did I forget about that!!! I was even tromping around in the cobra eating stream. LOL

That would be this lovely piece of scenery:

s_Wed_106.sized.jpg

It's time for some SAT practice!!

Charlie Brown is to Kite-eating tree as Jimscott is to:

A) Brownies.
B) Cheese cake.
C) Vicious stream.
D) Borgs.

Please circle, bubble in, write, mentally picture, and forget the correct answer.
biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

Back