Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accidental Drosophyllum seedling

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few months ago a renegade Drosophyllum seed from Elgecko's collection appeared in one of my pots. At first I wasn't sure what it was or how it got there, but eventually it was determined that it was in fact a Drosphyllum seedling that basically dropped in my lap, so to speak.

A shortwhile later I carefully and successfully repotted it to a 6" plastic drinking glass. We moved to the Buffalo area and I transported it (and the rest of the collection) via the largest cooler Kmart had. It survived that move just fine. Then I was told that it really ought to be in a deeper container. So I cut out the top of a 3-liter soda bottle and attempted to cut the bottom of the drinking glass, so I could fit it atop of the pop bottle. But the drinking glass cracked vertically and I had to extricate the seedling and contents. As I was attempting to move plant and media as one unit, the bottom half of the media gave way. Incredibly, the roots weren't exposed and I got it into the soda bottle - and sweated the next 24 hours. Fortunately, the leaves remained erect and dewy.

Basically, I am asking whether the 12" of depth provided by the pop bottle is sufficient

Also, people talk as if this plant could flower this summer. Is that a possibility?

I've been watering from the bottom / side, every few days. Is that correct.

The media is peat, sand, and perlite. Should I add LFS, live or otherwise?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure, but most people seem to grow theirs in a terra-cotta clay pot, since these guys like just barely damp medium.

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scott,
    You seem to have the worst luck. Hanging baskets crashing, pots off ledges, Drosophyllum trying to jump out of its media.... when is it going to end! LOL
    A 12" depth should be plenty good for the plant.
    I do not think your plant will flower this year. Mine will hit 2 years early this year, and has not flowered yet for me, but maybe I'm just not lucky.
    I water mine from the top, in fact I water all my plants from the top.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is possible to have Drosophyllum flower in under two years. All of the plants I grew from seeds flowered at around 1.5 years old. I top water my plants and allow the water to drain from the pot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (elgecko @ Jan. 04 2006,8:39)]Scott,
    You seem to have the worst luck. Hanging baskets crashing, pots off ledges, Drosophyllum trying to jump out of its media.... when is it going to end! LOL
    I do not think your plant will flower this year. Mine will hit 2 years early this year, and has not flowered yet for me, but maybe I'm just not lucky.
    Don't forget cobra lily's in the stream.... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, guys! Okay, 12" is adequate and top watering works. It is on leaf #9 or thereabouts, so I guess dampoff is fairly safe?

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (dewy @ Jan. 05 2006,5:18)]
    Quote[/b] (elgecko @ Jan. 04 2006,8:39)]Scott,
    Don't forget cobra lily's in the stream.... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    How the heck did I forget about that!!! I was even tromping around in the cobra eating stream. LOL

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be this lovely piece of scenery:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast