What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B.liniflora seed

OK, so my B.liniflora mother plant is getting very old. Last week,I sowed about 50 freshly harvested seeds on a 3:1peat to perlite mix. So far, none have germinated. I find this strange as I have not usually had problems germinating them before. My question is, will they germinate, and how long should it take? Also, in the past, they seemed to germinate best when they had temps around 82-90 degrees Fahrenheit. Could it be I need to up the warmth from 75F, which is what it is now, to around 85F? I am just worried that the mother plant may die soon,and I will have to try to get it back in my collection if the seeds don't germinate.
dewy

Mine germinated after a month and a half.

You should have sow half and the other half should have tried P-man's method to see which germinates faster.

I sowed seed using Pinguiculaman's method and 2/3 of them have germinated in about 1.5 months.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PiranhaPlant @ Jan. 16 2006,8:19)]You should have sow half and the other half should have tried P-man's method to see which germinates faster.
My mother B.liniflora is still producing seeds, its just that I am worried because the mother plants is around a year old,and could die at any time. If that happend, I would have to rely on the seeds I sowed to germinate. I will be harvesting another seed pod in a few days, so I will try half of the seeds using P-man's method. The ~50 seeds I sowed were fresh out of the seed pod, so old seeds isn't the problem. How long did yours take, PiranhaPlant?
dewy

Dewy:

Mine haven't germinated yet either. I did follow Pman's post. I'll let you know if anything changes.

dewy,

Recently, I tried germinating some seed that had been laying in the fridge since summer of 2000. I let the seed soak in water 48 hours before sowing. I used the same procedure 1999-2000 (the parents to this seed) and had lots of germination in only one day.

This time I had only ten seed and one germinated after 4-5 days. After moving the pot to a warmer place and under grow lights it took only 2 days before another four germinated.

During the years when sowing drosera seed I have been keeping room temperature (maybe 72-73 F) and rather low light for the first two weeks to stop moss and algae to get the upper hand of any seedlings. With a species like liniflora which have potential to germinate fast this procedure seem to have short comings in my case. With so many words I would suggest that you try raising the temps, if you not already have done so.

Regards,

Christer

Mine took about 2-3 weeks and I only get two seedlings. How big are seed pods and what colour are they? Does anybody have a picture of one?

My limited experience with B. liniflora has been ok at best. I sowed about 10 seeds a few months ago throughout different parts of my collection and only 3 germinated. Next time I sow them I should either try PingMan's method or maybe soak them in water for 48 hours like ChristerB.

DONT FRY THE SEEDS WITH THE bleach!!!!
, thats the biggest concern you should have usings p-mans method, i kill the seeds my plants make all the time because of this.

I sown one-year old seeds and two-month old seeds in December. I followed PM's method for both. Two one-year seeds germinated within a month but I have one two-month old seed germinate in tap water within 2 days! The rest are still good but the germination rate is slower than snail.
confused.gif

The temperature is in the 80s. Do the seeds germinate for you guys under the sun? Or under lights? Relative humidity in your area?
smile_l_32.gif

When you mean germinate in water, you mean just water and no soil or anything?

I'm beginning to wonder if I used too much bleech. I took a small turkish coffee cup, put just a bottom covering layer of bleech. It was only 4-5 drops. Then I filled the rest with distilled water and mixed it. I placed the seeds into the cup. You could see a brown substance dissolving from the seeds. Once I saw that the brown substance wasn't dissolving anymore, I pulled them out and rinsed them in distilled water. The seeds though when done were not pale, they were still very much so brown and dark.

According to P-man's method, he says to put 1/10 bleach to water, so I'm guessing that means no matter the size of the container, it's always 10% bleach to 100% water.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Do the seeds germinate for you guys under the sun? Or under lights? Relative humidity in your area?

My setup for B.liniflora germination under lights is as follows:

1. Fresh (~1 mo old) seed were pretreated using Pingman's method.

2. Seeds were sown onto 1:1:1 peat:perlite:sand mix.

3. Pots were covered with transparent plastic (with air holes) then placed in a tray constantly filled with 1.5" distilled water which sat on a heat mat set to "low" (75-80F) while the lights were on (14 h/day). Because the pots were covered, humidity around the seed was ~100%.

4. This setup was 6" under 80W cool white fluorescent lighting with ambient temperature 65-75F and humidity 65%.

5. A few seed germinated at 2 wks, with most seed germinating between 2-6 wks. After 6 wks, about 2/3 of the seed had germinated.

6. After 6 wks, the pot was uncovered for progressively longer periods over a period of 7 d by which time they remained permanently uncovered.

7. The seedlings are currently in uncovered pots sitting in 1.5" distilled water which is allowed to evaporate before the tray is refilled. No seedling has died.

Hope this answers your question.
smile.gif

PiranhaPlant, it's in tap water. No soil, no other rmedia. I remembered someone saying that it worked for them so I kept some seeds aside just for to try. Miraculously, it's the first to germinate. Could be the warm water that did it...or the seed is just ready to grow.  
confused.gif

chloroplast, thanks for the description. I'll archive it in my CP folder.    
smile.gif

When I harvested seed from my B. liniflora I planted some of it straight away. A few weeks went by and nothing sprouted. That's when [an experienced grower] told me its best to wait a few months before sowing. I haven't made a second attempt yet but it'll happen soon.

Peter

Back