Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: B.liniflora seed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, so my B.liniflora mother plant is getting very old. Last week,I sowed about 50 freshly harvested seeds on a 3:1peat to perlite mix. So far, none have germinated. I find this strange as I have not usually had problems germinating them before. My question is, will they germinate, and how long should it take? Also, in the past, they seemed to germinate best when they had temps around 82-90 degrees Fahrenheit. Could it be I need to up the warmth from 75F, which is what it is now, to around 85F? I am just worried that the mother plant may die soon,and I will have to try to get it back in my collection if the seeds don't germinate.
    dewy
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine germinated after a month and a half.
    Mens Et Manus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should have sow half and the other half should have tried P-man's method to see which germinates faster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sowed seed using Pinguiculaman's method and 2/3 of them have germinated in about 1.5 months.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How fresh were the seeds?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (PiranhaPlant @ Jan. 16 2006,8:19)]You should have sow half and the other half should have tried P-man's method to see which germinates faster.
    My mother B.liniflora is still producing seeds, its just that I am worried because the mother plants is around a year old,and could die at any time. If that happend, I would have to rely on the seeds I sowed to germinate. I will be harvesting another seed pod in a few days, so I will try half of the seeds using P-man's method. The ~50 seeds I sowed were fresh out of the seed pod, so old seeds isn't the problem. How long did yours take, PiranhaPlant?
    dewy
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dewy:

Mine haven't germinated yet either. I did follow Pman's post. I'll let you know if anything changes.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dewy,

Recently, I tried germinating some seed that had been laying in the fridge since summer of 2000. I let the seed soak in water 48 hours before sowing. I used the same procedure 1999-2000 (the parents to this seed) and had lots of germination in only one day.

This time I had only ten seed and one germinated after 4-5 days. After moving the pot to a warmer place and under grow lights it took only 2 days before another four germinated.

During the years when sowing drosera seed I have been keeping room temperature (maybe 72-73 F) and rather low light for the first two weeks to stop moss and algae to get the upper hand of any seedlings. With a species like liniflora which have potential to germinate fast this procedure seem to have short comings in my case. With so many words I would suggest that you try raising the temps, if you not already have done so.

Regards,

Christer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast