What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundews near the shower?

Hello all,

Would a south-facing window right above the shower be a decent place to grow a D. spathulata and a D. capensis? I live in the Bay Area, so the humidity should be decent at all times, but I'm curious if the rapidly changing humidity and heat when someone takes a shower would be harmful to the plants. Ideas?

Thanks!

I actualy tried this with an adelae, it rotted very quickly. The leafs got wet and it washed of the dew. Dont try it.

Any other window (besides the shower) would be a great place for sundews. Both D. spatulata and D. capensis adapt extremely well to low-humidity environments.

Some people grow Nepenthes in the showers, but we aren't talking about neps
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PiranhaPlant @ Jan. 21 2006,7:44)]Some people grow Nepenthes in the showers, but we aren't talking about neps  
smile_n_32.gif
I've heard about that. I might actually try that at some point, perhaps with a humidity-craving Nepenthes like N. bicalcarata...

Thanks for the advice. Speaking of neps, I have a ventricosa and sanguinea on the way. Maybe I'll try putting them there... The rafflesiana I tried putting there died, but I don't really have the conditions for lowlanders...

The N. ventricosa can handle low humidity so if space is a premium it can go in another window.

When we moved recently, I had a decent area of window sill in the bathroom. So I put as many containers there, with hanging baskets of Neps overhead. Oddly enough, my D. adelae began sending up a flower stalk. Coincidence?

Back