What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera madagascariensis

Can anyone tell me about Drosera madagascariensis? Is it easy to grow? Special needs, etc. Where I can get specific info on it? Thank you.

cphog,

I can share my experiences only, but for me it's been very easy. It grows with the rest of my drosera in peat/sand using the tray method. It strikes easily from leaf cuttings, sprouts from the roots if you cut it down, and even roots if you just lop off the top and plant it in the peat. Given that it's an interesting looking dew, too, I'd say it's a great one to grow.

Capslock

For me it is pretty simple to grow, though you should talk to Mitch (LLeopardGGecko). He has some interesting stories about his D. madagascariensis, and they appear to be more neglect-resistant that D. capensis.
smile_n_32.gif

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]they appear to be more neglect-resistant that D. capensis.

Amen to that! There's been at least 3 times where mine've died back completely, waited a few weeks/months then come back! Now I know better, and hopefully they wont have to do that any more.
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Jan. 23 2006,3:25)]For me it is pretty simple to grow, though you should talk to Mitch (LLeopardGGecko).  He has some interesting stories about his D. madagascariensis, and they appear to be more neglect-resistant that D. capensis.  
smile_n_32.gif

-Ben
I've done just about everything I can to this plant and it still survives. Just like Capslock says, it's one of the easiest sundews to propagate. I once chopped off an entire stem of D. madagascariensis (in fact, this was after I had asked Capslock about it), stuck it in some peat/perlite, and waited. I expected it to die, but the stem grew its own roots and just kept on growing like nothing happened
smile_k_ani_32.gif
It's now its own plant, and the little stump where I had originally cut the stem from is now growing its own plant! I also scattered random leaves around my collection, and each leaf created it's own little D. madagascariensis.

Moral of the story: This plant is unstoppable! It's also one of the coolest Drosera, so it's very worth having in your collection. I love it
smile.gif

I decapitate mine every year so they don't end up top heavy and falling over. they always return with as much vigour as they had before. they are lovely little plants.

Thank you Bobz for the info page. As it turns out I don't read German but the translater site worked well enough.

And thanks to everyone else who responded. I guess I'll get one.

Does anyone know if this species will self pollinate?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ZAK @ Mar. 02 2006,4:40)]Does anyone know if this species will self pollinate?
Yes, it does.

Bah, and mine just aborted a flower stalk..

Well I got mine about a month ago. I've had it in my office under 24hr. lighting. I just noticed a tiny flowerstalk starting to emerge. Hopfully all will go well. It's growing like crazy with the 24hr lighting.

This one is as tenacious as a D. binata. I had 3 seedlings and when they died back, there were 3 more to replace it. I'v never had it flower, but they seem to do well, coming back from the roots. Mabudon has had his flower.

ok who wants to cut of the head off their plant and send it to me then. LMAO Just picking. Will wait till its offered in the trading forum.
smile_n_32.gif

Yes, as Jim said mine flowers, it's doing so now, nice purply-pinky kinda flowers , however , I don't seem to get seeds from it.. if I do I'll let ya know, JB,
But is is really easy to keep alive and really healthy, and its leaves move a lot in my experiance, pretty dramatic and exciting to have in a collection

Back