Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drosera gigantea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like a compuslive lunitic I bought some D. gigantea seed on ebay this past week. Has anyone ever germinated these before? Any info would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out the D. gigantea germinating/growing instructions on the ICPS Seed Bank web pages. That should get you started.

Hope this helps!

Mike
    Mike Howlett

"Leuc, I am your flava!"

Now we know Princess Leah's last name: Wilkerson!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only know one person who germinated them. They need scarification or something like that.

drosera guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had success without further preparation. A pity the plants did not survive my beginner's cultivation "skills" back then...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easy to germinate without any treatment as long as the environment is very cool (particularly at night). Best to sow right at the end of summer so that they germinate just as the nights are cooling down. Probably a bit late to sow with any success now as your spring is about to begin and the seedlings won't grow well when the weather heats up. They may germinate but unless you can keep the temps low they'll slowly die off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Easy to germinate without any treatment as long as the environment is very cool (particularly at night). Best to sow right at the end of summer so that they germinate just as the nights are cooling down. Probably a bit late to sow with any success now as your spring is about to begin and the seedlings won't grow well when the weather heats up. They may germinate but unless you can keep the temps low they'll slowly die off.
    So it would be best to keep them in the fridge until October or November?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally that is what I would do. This will give any seedlings the longest possible growing season to produce the largest possible tuber. If sown now the prospects of producing a tuber would not be the best. Hopefully the seeds are quite fresh and if that is the case they will still be viable by the end of summer.

I'm in Australia and will be sowing all of my tuberous Drosera seed in the next month or so ready for the cool nights of fall. I've found that the seed of any tuberous species will not germinate until the nights get cold, no matter how long you have them down for. After the first cold period of fall/winter I notice good germination within a few days of almost all species simultaneously.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seandew, the ICPS pages suggest a "hot stratification" period of a few weeks. They suggest sowing in early August. If you sow in February then I should sow in August, right?

I live in east central Florida and it stays hot well into October most years. The nights start cooling off around that time. When I say cool off, I mean low 70's F. So that would give the seeds a several weeks of heat before germination. Speaking of heat, should I keep the seeds in the fridge or at room temps?

Just curious: I think my lattitude here is about 27.5 N. What is your lattitude and that of D. gigantea's natural range?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast