Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D. Rotundifolia Melted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't there a var. from hawaii that doesn't have a dormancy period? That might be an option for people in more tropical environments.
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they have just gone into dormancy there should be a small bundle of green leaves in the centre where the grow point once was. My rotundifolia are very visible when they are dormant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The whole ball looks black with no tuft of visible green. I have to admit defeat due to lack of knowledge, I've "killed" the plant [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]

I will try to select those tropical variety next time since there's no way I can mimic the winter over here. Otherwise I'll know roughly when to put them in the fridge for dormancy. It's all about trial and error now.

I've just potted up some gemmae from john v.d. w and after reading through they're pygmies. In my weather does this mean I'll not get any gemmae from the plants? Or will putting them into the fridge do the trick?

Thanks, Pauline.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't be too hasty in throwing the pot out, you never know one or two may return from the roots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Don't be too hasty in throwing the pot out, you never know one or two may return from the roots.
    Good point. On several occasions, drosera that I thought were dead resurrected from the roots after several months. I would keep the pot if space permits.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama *Barracuda_45*'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive got some D. rotundifolia that went dorment on there own and are now placed in the fridge, you can take leaf cuttings from it and place them in the pottin mix moisted at all times and they will grow new babies mine have. I have taken leaf cuttings even when the leafs are somewhat losing color as they were going dorment and placed them in the mix and i now have babies growing from them. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    "Quote, indymental
    If they have just gone into dormancy there should be a small bundle of green leaves in the centre where the grow point once was. My rotundifolia are very visible when they are dormant."

Correct thats how mine are when they go dorment they have what looks like lots unopend/uncureld leafs in the center kinda darkish in color. I wouldnt give up on the plant nither. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smilie4.gif[/img]
    Hey buddy wana run, LETS GO!
    Northern Michigan All Car Drag Team *PRESIDENT*
    Red Hot Cherry's "NEW" PB 8.741 GO CHERRY! & "5" 1st place trophy wins 9 sec class.
    www.nmacdt.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12