Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D. Rotundifolia Melted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The D. Rotundifolia I had was thriving and seemed to be "waking up". All of a sudden I noticed that the whole ball turned brownish/black.

They're grown in dried sphagnum and left on a tray of water. Did really well for over 3 months. I wonder if it's the tropical heat since I've read it's a temperate plant. Any advice?

Pauline. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it went dormant?
    It is hard to always be a human being... people get in the way.

An education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
    - Terry Pratchett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dimka, I haven't thought about that. The plant looks as dead as can be [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Is there a possibility that the plant go dormant while in tropical cultivation?

Pauline.

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's possuble, I had one do just that and it came back out of dormancy when it was good and ready, but I killed it accidentally by forgetting to water it in the summer... it was doing okay though!!!
    Plants that need dormancy do funny things when you don't give it to them I have found
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their dying leaves me in stitches, Mabudon. D. rotundifolia has to have a dormancy, NO EXCEPTIONS!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So that's the problem.....dormancy. I'll remember that in the future. It's probably easier to stick with tropical variety cos of the weather here.

Thanks a lot guys!
    Pauline.

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the confusion, Bugweed, I kinda meant that, if you don't give them what they need, you get what you get.....

I was referring to something someone else said when I asked almost the same question (and I can't recall who but it was one of the local authroities) stating that if you don't alter the photoperiod OR temps, they will go dormant on their own time... this could maybe have something to do with D. rotundifolia "evergrow" or something, but I am positive that I was told that they will TAKE dormancy as best they can if you don't GIVE it to them....

I certainly didn't want to re-open the dormancy can-o-worms from a few years back, and thanks for keeping me honest

)PS I have one "plant demise" story that actually IS hilarious but it is hard to tell without gestures and emphasis)
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Pauline,

Since rotudifolia aren't all that big, you can always toss 'em in the fridge for three months. You just have to check them periodically to make sure there's not fungus.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast