What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pygmy sundew and gemmae

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
This is my second year I have grown my pygmy sundew. Each year I start a new pot of them, but what happened last year is also happening this year with my parent plants. My parent pygmies are dying after making some gemmae. So I will have no where near the amount I thought I was going to have avaiable to offer to people for the SASE in another post I made here.
I did not think it was normal for pygmies to only last 1 year. I thought that they grow for several years.
Any one else have the problem with the sundews starting to die after making gemmae?
Any ideas why?

Steve, it's not normal for them to die after only a year. I have D. scorpioides that are 3 years old. My other pygmies are at least a year old and all have produced gemmae with no problem. I did lose a pot D. scorpioides this past year... unlike cactus they do need watered frequently. Have you checked the soil in the pots for pests? I recently found earthworms in a couple of my Utric pots. Wondered why they were looking so poorly the last few months. Also, aphids love sucking mine dry. Especially my D. scorpioides. I'm always battling them.

Back